Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Paris Hilton's My New BFF

Flicking through the guide yesterday to check I hadn't missed something I wanted to record I spotted on ITV2 "Paris Hilton's My New BFF"; no I wasn't planning on either watching or recording it just the title grabbed me for its inconsistencies.

The problem for me lies in BFF, to translate:

B stands for Best. That is superior or possessing qualities that place it above over comparables
F stands for Friend. A companion.
F stands for Forever. For all time, never ending.

Now take that and place it in the title next to "New". So either she's broken-up with her last BFF in which case she doesn't understand the concept of "Forever", she's after another BFF in which case she doesn't understand the word "Best" or tragically her last BFF died, in which case is a TV show the best option?

Perhaps "Paris Hilton's My New Friend" wasn't punchy enough?

7 comments:

Tav said...

Perhaps the 'best friend forever' is new to his/herself (not Paris), as in 'new and improved'. Perhaps a new look; a new hairstyle; he/she has lost weight; or come out of prison and looking towards a fresh start; or something more drastic like a sex change? Don't bother to watch it to find out, I wouldn't wish that on my worst of enemies.

:-)

FlipC said...

But that would be a show about the friend not Paris ;-)

Oh and you had to bring in "new and improved" it's either new or it's improved how can it be both gahhhh [runs around with arms in flailing]

Tav said...

opps

Phil Lench said...

Also it's Paris Hiltons' My New BFF

Not Paris Hilton is My New BFF.

The errant apostrophe strikes again :)

Then again she's so far up her own pert little ass she is her own BFF

FlipC said...

Ah an omission indicator rather than possessive, but in either case it would still be "'s"

Paris Hilton's My New BFF. A show called My New BFF presented/owned by Paris Hilton

or

Paris Hilton's My New BFF. Paris is My New BFF.

Though the latter would allow for PH to be someone else's BFF while them not being her BFF, which I think would be just rude.

walkerno5 said...

I think the fact that a relationship as powerful as an actual Best Friend Forever would have to be, has been reduced to just three letters, says it all.

That said, "wife" is only four letters....

Orphi said...

You wouldn't believe how many teenage girls on Facebook list their “wife” has one of the girls in their class at school.

…Actually, maybe you would.