Monday, January 26, 2009

Still Fallout 3

Yep now going it through it for the second time, not just for the missed trophies at the beginning, but because it's just so immersive to play.

This time around I've got the hang of a few things and have upped the difficulty from the default to Very Hard. Noticeable changes are that I've a lot less ammunition spare and I'm using medicine more. Enemies are tough so I'm sneaking a lot more and using a lot more grenades and setting mines at ambush points.

To make life even harder for myself I'm trying to max out all thirteen skills, that is reach 100% in each. Last time I played I maxed out a few, but was still finding items that would increase that and therefore had obviously wasted them and my allocation of skill points. This time will be different - for complicated reasons to do with some special enhancing items the result is that no skill should be enhanced past 37%. That means if I have a base skill of 17% and tag it at the start to raise it by 15% then find a +10% item making 42% I should only add 5 points to that skill to increase its base to 37% while having it read 47%.

This means a) keeping track of every enhancement made to skills; and b) although I'm a Jack-of-all-Trades until I find every scattered item most of my skills are below 50% which makes the game even harder. Fortunately there are items which grant temporary boosts when worn or imbibed which helps push some skills past 50% 9a neccesary for some things); in any case it's certainly making the game both more tense and a lot slower, which is a good thing,

0 comments: