Thursday, January 15, 2009

Phil Collins

In a comment to a blog entry on the Kidderminster Shuttle I mentioned I was currently listening to Genesis' "Jesus He knows me" which prompted a reply that by admitting to this I'd lost all credibility. Of course I was unaware I even possessed any credibility to lose so in an effort to defend myself... ah hell no I'm not the song makes me laugh just check out some of the lyrics:

"I believe in the family.
With my ever loving wife beside me;
But she don't know about my girlfriend,
Or the man I met last night."

"Won't find me practising what I'm preaching.
Won't find me making no sacrifice.
But I can get you a pocketful of miracles;
If you promise to be good, try to be nice.
God will take good care of you;
Just do as I say, don't do as I do."

"There'll be no doubt in your mind;
You'll believe everything I'm saying.
If you wanna get closer to him;
Get on your knees and start paying."

Of course I know this doesn't apply to everyone involved in religion, but the simple fact is that you have to question any system that can lead to this type of abuse from its leaders. Except of course you can't because it's a religion and you're not allowed to do that - unless it's a cult of course (cult being defined as religion that a) hasn't been around for over 300 years, or b) has less then an arbitrary number of followers) in which case you can happily persecute them and question how stupid someone has to be to believe in invisible entities while following the edicts of a single 'leader' as law.

0 comments: