Monday, January 26, 2009

Advertising as a sign of recession?

I don't know but over the weekend every advert-break featured AutoGlass - with what was pointed out to me as the contradictory message that to replace a new windscreen would cost you your excess and impact your no-claims bonus, but calling out for a repair will be covered by your insurance and won't. Um really and the difference between the two is?

Anyway the army has a new couple of adverts out playing with Titles such as Leadership or some such and throwing up virtual screens showing the rewards of being in the army such as camaraderie and helping kids play football; oddly they don't show the scenes of you with your leg blown off because the kid you were playing football with was wearing an explosive shirt - funny thing that. Oh and they're also advertising in gaming magazines using a 'game art' box that looks like something that would have produced in the 80's and then still been laughed at for looking cheap and tacky.

Speaking of the army I looked at the RAF advert in a new light, you know the one starts off by looking at a radar screen and then various utensils fly up into the air to form a fighter jet; yep so true - The RAF picking the pockets of hospitals, businesses...

Oh and Glade have heard my cries over not providing an off button for their air-freshener by... still not providing an off button. Oh no this time it's motion-sensitive - better, but I think an off button would be a cheaper option.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't watch TV any more. But when I occasionally do… man, the advert breaks are like a bad acid trip or something!! o_O

I mean, Jesus, somebody tell the marketing boffins to calm down. This crap is mental!

FlipC said...

I've got to say that recently I've found very little to watch on TV. There's "Demons" a cheap Buffy knock-off; "The Simpsons" now back to series 9 after showing (most of) series 15 and one episode of series 14; and um... no that's about it.

Not to worry I have the 4th series of Blake's Seven, Sarah Connor Chronicles, and Ashes to Ashes on DVD not to mention Fallout3, FarCry2 and Mercenaries2 for the PS3 if I do decide to stay in.

Oh and yes some adverts do seem to be getting more 'extreme' in an attempt to attract our attention.

Anonymous said...

“Hey! Look at this! It's a Ford Fiesta driving through a pool of imaginary molten lava!! Look how safe this car is!!!eleven!”

Um, wait…

(And what do you think the reason I don't watch TV is? Yeah, I'm still waiting for them to bring back Rough Science, Local Heros, or at least something worth watching!)

FlipC said...

You just know someone is going to try and do that or at least think "Hey if they show this car driving through lava it should cope fine with that flooded river crossing"

I try and catch the news although that's been simply repetitive and depressing since the new year, and the odd Horizon; but with the loss of Mock the Week, Have I Got News for You, Doctor Who, and a few things that popped up on the odd digital channel I agree there really is nothing worth watching.

I've got the Diary of Anne Frank on the DVR as well as some fashion documentary series that was shown on some digital channel and looked like it might prove intellectually stimulating, but that's really it from this year so far.

Well hey anyway at least you've got your dancing, typical now Strictly Come Dancing has finished; you could have picked up some pointers :-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.