Friday, July 03, 2009

Courtesy in driving

Well I've talked about good old Meth a couple of entries back, and yet I'm still surprised by the sheer discourtesy on the roads at times.

Heading to the bridge into town we're all stopped by the crossing next to Harold Davies Drive. There is a car (two to be precise) waiting here to turn right. Oncoming traffic has obviously been stopped by the lights so the only thing stopping him getting out is the traffic in my lane heading towards the lights.

The car in front slows down and... joins the queue directly opposite this car. I hold back, the lights change, and the other lane's traffic roar down leaving no chance for him to get out reluctantly I join my now moving queue. Now if I were in that position, me I'd have thought "pfft what's the hassle" and seeing that I would be the only thing stopping him getting out would slow down and stop early so as to let him exit before the lights changed and he was stuffed into waiting for a clear patch in both lanes.

Later this same car approached Parkes Passage in High Street and slowing down indicated to turn right. At which point he bumped up past the zig-zag lines of the crossing onto the pavement and parked across the double yellow and single line kerb markings. Nothing to do I'm sure with the cash-point machine next to him. Yeah excuse me I now have to get around you using the other lane.

I've mentioned many a time those who park on the exit corners of York Street into High Street and Bridge Street and yes company that I will not name I do mean you. I've also mentioned all those who park opposite or at a slant to the bus stops in York Street and High Street.

However we have a winner today as in a stroke of amazement they're working on the pot-hole in York Street. Well I say working a set of orange barricades have gone round it; no actually working taking place when I went through. Now for picking up passenger reasons I loop this section of the town; so I came through and stayed on the right and found surprisingly that so was everyone else; orange barricade came up I went yippee and hooked round and then back through the loop.

This time around though someone had thought it the best thing in the world to park diagonally opposite the orangeness. So everyone had to pull out left before sharply turning right then left again to get back in the lane they wanted - a bus or larger vehicle wouldn't have had a hope in hell.

I mention the looping because this wasn't the case of someone parking there and then having workmen turn up and drop orangeness into the road they were parking there despite clearly seeing what lay ahead of them.

I truly can't grasp the teeny-tiny mentality that would allow anyone to behave like this.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.