Tuesday, May 18, 2010

InFamous re-dux

Just to show the lasting appeal of the InFamous game; despite finishing it with 100% completion three times, despite already reaching the Platinum Trophy over the weekend I popped it into my PS3 and started playing it again and it's still fun.



I'm still hunting down all the blast-shards and the dead-drops; I'm still trying to clear out all the side-missions; I'm still trying to remember the different attack combinations to glean the extra XP. And I'm still just happily tripping around Empire City giggling at the adverts for "Mid-Life Cycles" showing a Harley type bike complete with guy and writing girl on the back. "Tech-Kwan Do", "Loophole Productions presents" a film called "Alone in the House of Blood" described as "Craptastic" or "Sophie's Wooden Spoon" - "She changed a nation that used only two sticks to eat with... by choosing to eat with her wooden spoon".

Once again, and I can't stress this enough, I can navigate around the entire area without having to call up the map every minute to find out where I am. There's the park, there's the elevated rail-line, there's that big rotating planet sculpture, there's the promenade. Drop me of at one of the temporary clinics and I can tell you that I'm at the southern-most edge of the island because of the warehouse along the water and that the graveyard is north-west of there.

I can't do that in any other sand-box game I've ever played the surroundings are far too similar to each other to pick up on distinctions; yet this still a city and still conformist, it just has enough landmarks and differences to be able to identify exactly where you are.

InFamous 2 is in development, here's hoping they don't mess it up.

0 comments: