Friday, November 06, 2009

Timeshift PS3 review update

Having an HD television and noticing that the jerkiness in the opening scenes of Batman: Arkham Asylum had disappeared I though to check out the flawed TimeShift once again.


For those not wanting to wade through the full review the main gripe I had was the screen tearing from the v-sync that rendered the game unplayable for those who wished to avoid a migraine. Would TimeShift like Batman prove to be better on a full HD screen; had I slagged it off unfairly?

No. It's now worse. Letting it default to 720p I then jumped the introduction and got to the wake-up call that had me amble through a building with a guide. I headed up to the top of a set of stairs and let my view swing back and forth - tear, lots and lots of tear.

To reiterate. I'm in a building, so no long sight lines, no need to mess with texture fill. No rain falling from the sky and I had my back to the guide so no enemy/friendly movement. Just standing on a balcony at the top of a set of stairs running my view across a plain wall with a graffiti tag on it. The engine couldn't cope.

Unless I rotated on the spot v.e.r.y. slowly the screen would start to split apart very noticeably. I'm not talking about detailed video analysis such as shown on Eurogamer, the type where you complain that it's five pixels off. I'm talking about waves of tear down the screen where the top half of a nearby post can be disconnected to its bottom half.

So still unplayable.

0 comments: