Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Yet more traffic lights

Flicking through the letters page online at the Shuttle yesterday I spotted this missive regarding all the work going on in the area.

It was with some small amusement that I then discovered that work at the traffic lights had been reinstated and this morning traffic lights are going up at the OGL island again.

Checking the roadworks weekly report, the quarterly report and the monthly application for traffic lights leaves me none the wiser as to who is working here, which suggests it's an 'emergency' utility repair job. I'll find out later when I'm sitting in a queue.

[Update - Great Googlymoogly it looks like they're fixing the leak; highly amusing as it appears we have just acquired a new one in Vale Road just at the turn into the Mitton car-park]

Doing my favourite thing and quoting myself - "So when will it all end? Probably never."

4 comments:

Don B said...

Like you I had noted the new leak in Vale Road. Had you spotted that for the last two weeks they have been working on the traffic lights at the Worcester Street/Minster Road/Vale Road/Church (is Walk or Avenue?) - here they appear to be cutting grooves for new embedded traffic signal cables - I can only assume that they intend to insert new filter lights.

I meant to report that at long last the lights for the traffic bollards in Bewdley Road near to the junction with Vernon Road are now working.

FlipC said...

I had spotted the work on the lights, but didn't know what they were doing. It also appeared that they were only shutting down one lane at a time which would have only a mild impact on the three main junction points what with them being two lanes each. anyway this morning was a joy...

Don B said...

I had to go through the OGL roadworks 3 times today. The work appeared to be completed - site all swept up with the lights in place. Coming back the final time at 4pm I decided to come via Kidderminster and come into Stourport via the dual carriageway. The queue started on the dual carriageway itself. I had the option of turning right into Worcester Street and up the Bewdley Road so I could keep to the right-hand lane and overtake most of the traffic once I had reached the Baptist Church. How different the roadworks are being handled at these traffic lights. As you say work today was on one lane at a time. At the end of the allotted task all the barriers were removed by 4pm in time for the evening rush hour, so no hold ups in Vale Rale.

FlipC said...

Well they're now down, so as they were still up last night I was coming to the conclusion that a) they worked during the night to fix the leak, b) they'd got in really early this morning to fix the leak, or c) they'd fixed the leak yesterday, but the lights were still up.

Now you say you saw that the work had been completed yesterday I have to assume that they'd left the lights up despite work finishing.

Doubly stupid as once again they had someone manually changing the lights last night.

Okay benefit of the doubt - the roadworks needed time to set.

Ah well not to worry we'll get some more fun when they try to fill in the depression on the Stour Bridge for the forth time.