Friday, July 04, 2008

A little trip

Headed down to a local (but out of the way) satellite office to lay on hands for the computers. Some security settings were causing hassles and one wonderful programme insisted on being installed as an Administrator, but created its start-up links on a per-user basis and only for the Administrator instead of in the shared menu as it was told.

Directions were amusing as I worked through them on Google Maps
"Take this road here" says the boss then turn here.
"Or I could just continue to this highly distinctive turn and continue down the A roads" I showed
"Yeah, but it's quicker this way"
"But knowing this wonderful country so well I doubt it's even signposted so I'm likely to miss it or take the wrong route"
"Go whichever way you like then"

So I did and I was right the road in question isn't signposted. Narrow lanes, refuse vans, and horse riders; all good fun. At least it was paved.

Heading back I got to a junction and spotted a useful signpost, which I followed. Heading along I realised this isn't the way I'd come, kept following the signs and yes came out at that road I'd scorned on the way in. Mileage was certainly less, but the trip was slightly longer due to the number of times I had to turn against the traffic compared to what I'd have to have done retracing my steps. Shorter isn't always quicker.

Back to the office and dropped some mail out back.

"Saw those posts in the Shuttle"
Yep those finger posts, or more accurately that post.
I mentioned the photo wasn't exactly up to scratch and we got onto various other things including the icing sugar pavements before departing.

Over the road to drop off some misdirected mail and
"What's going on with these posts?" I'm asked
"You been reading the Shuttle?"
"No, what are they for?"
"Oh they're finger posts"
[quizzical look]
I mime pointing in various directions "They just haven't put up the signs yet"
"That one is going to be a right pain"
"Yeah it wouldn't have been so bad if it was straight up and down, but it's flared at the bottom; someone's going to trip over that."

Much discussion followed.

So two locals within ten minutes essentially saying "Who the hell put that there?"

On the same topic as trips and tripping, I now turn to rambling. In this instance the comment thread on the WFA regarding the Red Cross donation which has over 60 comments at last count. To summarise again (and I'm taking a risk here) part of the money donated for helping with the floods was set to be used to help with a play area not affected by the floods until someone asked why, at which point it was withdrawn.

Now the whole 60+ comments is essentially all about who asked whom and who gave (or didn't give) permission to whom and what was said. About 40 posts in I get fed-up and point out that all this could be settled by posting the documentation between the two parties involved. I repeat this three times and anyone in a position to have this documentation keeps repeating the mantra 'They said we could, and now they said we can't' without offering any proof oh and subtle legal threats against their 'accusers'. If this was a typical internet spat I wouldn't much care, but those of the mantra are our local councillors.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: Red Cross donation
I have continually being trying to draw conclusions to the debate, but we so many comments coming through 'thick and fast' its difficult to do. I think I'm going to take the Freedom of Information Act approach, and get the document myself.

FlipC said...

Imagine a company ordering 3,000 widgets and getting 30,000 widgets and a demand for payment. Now look at the comments as being an inter-departmental email discussion about what happened and the ridiculousness of it becomes even more apparent.

Heh I loved your latest response to John, did you note the specific though "I assume Howard has seen..." i.e. he knows it's available to the council, but isn't making it available to us poor proles.