Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Stourport shennagians

An almost accident on the way from work last night, not me the cars opposite. A car had stopped to turn right into Power Station Road (next to the Rose and Crown) the car behind stopped fine, but the car behind him came to a halt in a plume of smoke (and the car behind her stopped easily). This is a 30mph zone, but just past the junction it switches to 50mph so, of course, everyone accelerates.

This morning I noted that the death-trap stairs are still closed off and that the theodolite is still at the Bridge Street end of Raven Street. It's also spawned off two others, one at the top of Bridge Street, next to the new map, and one opposite Raven Street outside the Factory Shop. I'm now guessing this is all Basin Link stuff. Ah now they're measuring down New Street.

The work going on at the old Surgery has me scratching my head. They've replaced the old wall that had fallen to bits that ran along Bridge Street, but they've blocked off one end of it. Now as far as I know it's always been possible to walk up the side of the bridge from the riverside and walk along the edge of the Toll House between it and the old wall (until it fell over). Now, however, they've just left the gap directly facing Bridge Street so anyone coming up from the riverside by this means will have to walk with their back to traffic in the road along this new wall.

This seems odd to say the least, so I looked up the plans and the drawings particularly the North West elevation. Now call me thick, but I can't see a wall here. It does show up on the South West side elevation, but as an open path. Hmm I'll triple check before I call anyone.

0 comments: