Thursday, July 17, 2008

Morning traffic

So our temporary lights were still up last night, but in a stroke of genius someone had been posted during the evening rush-hour to switch them manually; as such my trip took about the same amount of time as it usually did.

This morning, however, I joined the queue on the bridge. We moved forward at a snail's pace and I mentally tossed a coin. It came down heads so I headed down Raven Street, New Street, and then Moorhall Lane. Turning right into Lickhill Road I joined the queue there.

Moving forward at slightly more then a snail's pace I turned left into Vernon Road and hit the junction to Worcester Street, at which point I stopped.

I watched four complete cycles of the traffic lights at the Worcester Street/Minster Road junction and didn't move an inch. This wasn't because no-one in the queue in front of me would let me in, they didn't move either. Seriously no exaggeration for these four cycles the top of the queue let out two cars which were instantly replaced by two others being let out from a side road. Further down the queue nobody moved - at all.

I gave up turned right into Lombard Street, joined the queue there. Moved forward into High Street, joined the queue. Moved into Vale Road, joined the queue. Got into Gilgal, joined the queue. Finally got to the OGL island and through the lights and away.

Worcester Road who had just been let out before us had three cars at the lights, not even queued they were just starting to form a queue.

Here's the kicker - the lights appeared to be on manual control. Yep this was the state we were in when we had someone at the switch favouring the town side.

Now as I've said this leak needed to be fixed and I could understand why they weren't doing it, but for god's sake a little forward notice would have been appreciated; they just dumped this lot down on Wednesday morning and expected everyone to work around it.

Oh yeah and what kills me is the fact that prior to them digging up the road last time we didn't have a leak here.

[Update - Just talked to someone who's just come in and the traffic's not as bad, but there still appears to be no-one working on site not even the guy I saw previously (who might have been working for Lux)]

{Update 2 - So 9am no-one on site (bar Lux man), 11am no-one on site, 1pm no-one on site, 2pm no-one on site; good to see STW taking this disruption to normal traffic flow seriously]

0 comments: