Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Chinese Cooking Made Easy

As seen on BBC2 last night.

[Update - It was Chinese Food Made Easy]

It was surprisingly good for the most part, she only used one unexplained cooking term - reduce - and of the more esoteric ingredients offered alternatives that are easily available. Likewise she didn't assume everyone has a garlic press, pepper grinder , or gold-plated pip remover.

She did seem a bit enamoured of her own cooking pulling 'yummy' faces when she tried her own food, which I found a bit pointless as I'd hardly expect her to spit it out. Then she shattered my enjoyment

"On your way home from work if you're thinking about getting a takeaway why not get fresh ingredients yourself?"
Oo oo I think I know the answer to this. Is it - "Because all the shops that sell fresh ingredients are closed by the time I leave work"?

[Update - Damn, actual quote
"Next time you're on your way home and you want to pick yourself up a Chinese takeaway why don't you pick up some fresh ingredients to cook with instead"
I still think my point is valid though]

Okay the supermarkets are still open, but that's about it. It's not as if I can do as she does and pop into a greengrocer in the middle of the day and pick up stuff on the way home.

She did have some good tips though so I'll be watching the next episode on Monday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a bit like the “hey Andrew, why don't you just go to a jobs agency?” stuff.

“Gee, I don't know, maybe because I work 9 to 5 every single weekday and it takes me an hour to get home after that?”

FlipC said...

or "any person interested may inspect the council's accounts for the year" They're open weekdays from 9.30 to 4; umm?