Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Gotta love Gilgal

So I'm following a box van up Vale Road and we reach the bottleneck that is Gilgal. Amazingly the left-hand lane of Gilgal is in motion (the right-hand side being clear as usual) and he indicates to change lanes (to the left) and continues into our right-hand lane alongside a silver car.

I note that the silver car is being followed by a dark car and then a gap being eroded by a coach. I also indicate left and pull into our right-hand lane slowly so as to slot in behind the dark car, who in turn is now indicating right; so we dosey doe. The coach switches lanes behind me too.

Meanwhile the box van is still in the right-hand lane, but has stopped indicating either he's changed his mind or the right-hand bend we've just travelled through has switched them off automatically. He's also getting very close to the diving line, but with the narrowness of the road that's normal. Well normal until he broaches the line and starts getting very close to the silver car in front of me.

I drop back a little we're not travelling very fast, but I can see how this is going and want to give myself some more breathing space.

The box van, still not indicating, cuts straight in front of the silver car causing him to brake and sound his horn; the box van driver is unrepentant and finishes his manoeuvre almost taking off the front of the silver car. I release my breath and then inhale again sharply as the coach passes me on the right just as we reach the station; a long rigid coach at the narrowest point of the road, on the inside of a curve. I almost thought I was going to lose a wing mirror.

Hey I know let's build a Tesco at the other end of this section and then make that road as narrow as the one I'm describing above - top hole idea!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey
Talking of roads...there are portacabins and all moved into Millfields...roads for Christmas oy!!??

FlipC said...

Presumably not parked at the end where they dropped the concrete pipes?