Thursday, August 02, 2007

Ah the joy

So the traffic light at the top of Sandy Lane is now working, but still nothing on either of the exits at the staggered junction halfway down. Oh and they've extended a bit of the work across both lanes. No they haven't closed the road, it's opposite Barracks Road so you drive across the entrance/exit there. Well you do provided there are no vehicles legitimately trying to leave that road and are parked on their mark waiting to turn, playing spot the car and guess the priority.

[Update from WCC who tell me it's our friends Balfour Beatty doing the work, but the traffic lights are handled by a completely different company. Wow a surprise there. Any hoo all should be well by this evening, but now they've been flagged a couple of times, any more funny business and they'll get a visit]


Oh and highly tempted to run over the workmen as they held a conversation in the middle of the open lane then slowly wandered away with their backs to me.

Oh and no water (except for the stuff running out of the nice new hole they've dug in the road). We were warned, well the card said they'd be possible interruptions on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of last week. Yep last week, but the guy who dropped it off last Monday said it was really for this week Shocked the guys working across the way when I went to warn them last week as they only had what was written on the card to go by and were already filling up kettles. Well one day without I'll count us lucky.

Oh and I haven't mentioned that my favourite hole in York Street has been dug out and square filled, still doesn't look like it's been sealed though so we'll see how long it lasts.


Real joy in that Suzie's found herself a new home. Don't forget us now you're moving so far away ;-)

6 comments:

Don B said...

I had to go to Wigley's today and what a crazy system of traffic lights on Sandy Lane. Two roads going off Sandy Lane in the middle of the roadworks and no traffic lights to control them. On my return it was impossible to see whether it was safe to set off and no chance of calculating whether it was safe to pull out.
Total crazy system of traffic control management.

FlipC said...

It's better now. The upstream has its traffic light in the middle of Barracks Road now so it can be seen from the junction, all the cars are still having to use the junction to swing around the roadworks though.

I can only imagine what it would be like if people hadn't complained.

Don B said...

Saturday 4th
"Ah the joy" ... of virtually no traffic on the High Street. My wife has just returned from her daily constitutional shopping expedition to W H Smith, Holland and Barrett, and Grinnalls and commented on what a pleasure it was to shop without all the traffic. Perhaps we ought to consider a bus, taxi, cycle only day on the High Street once a month (!!!!!)

FlipC said...

I had much the same conversation with my aunt and uncle on Saturday regarding Bridge Street. Now if we had an alternative nearby bridge to use it wouldn't be that far-fetched an idea.

Anonymous said...

Aaah...just found this, bless you! It may be some time before I desert you at this rate! And don't get me started about the traffic situation! I'm waiting for the lights to reappear on the bridge at any moment... It makes a change to be sat in a queue ON the bridge, at least! ;)

FlipC said...

Heh, I recall when I moved from Kiddy to Stourport when I was still at middle school. We'd timed it so it would be during the summer holiday an easy break and start at a new school... the people moving out of our new home got bumped and I ended up going back to my old school for a couple of months. Highly embarrassing after the farewells etc. I really hope you don't get any problems like that.

As for the traffic, yeah I think some cars now think they have free licence to park where they like now the lights are down; not that it really stopped them before :-)