Monday, April 06, 2009

General Common Sense Take 2

Picking someone up from High Street, I can't stop where I would normally on the right because someone's parked there. Oh wait silly me they can't be parked there because it's a double-yellow no parking restriction, they must be loading or unloading; except there are single yellow no parking at these times and this is one of them. They must be picking up passengers like me, slow invisible passengers.

Anyway I pull intot he left lane to overtake them indicate right to show I'm stopping. Good job I did pull right as a car in parking bay opposite tries to pull out in front of me.

Anyhow I stop and pick up my passenger. In the meantime a car has pulled alongside me to reverse into that free bay. I realise that doing so is causing a minor obstruction so I indicate to pull out into main traffic (i.e. stay in the same lane I'm in) but I can't because a WFDC yellow van has decided they don't want to wait for the car to reverse and is attempting to squeeze between the two of us.

He manages to get through and the car that was behind him wisely decides to stay put. I pull out as I was trying to thus clearing the way and find myself trundling slowly behind said WFDC who seems unsure which lane they want to be in.

At this point I have to jink to my right to avoid the couple each pushing a baby in a chair trying to cross the road behind the van right alongside the pedestrian crossing placed there for that very purpose.

Back into York Street and we get a young man sauntering across the road next to the crossing causing me to slow down, one guy standing correctly at said crossing and a older couple standing on the corner waiting for the lights to change so they can save themselves the extra 9 yards it'd take to use the crossing correctly.

Coming back through town I see a group next to the Bridge Inn waiting to push someone in a wheelchair across the road - the crossing is just up there, and behind you is a wheelchair ramp where you'll be able acess then walk across the meadows and under the bridge... oh but that would take time, and it's too far. I'd much rather risk my life and others then put myself to any sort of inconvience.

If it were kids I could issue a rant about 'youth' and their parents and blah blah, but these are the ones who are supposed to be setting the examples; all the kids about town weren't the ones I was having to watch out for.

0 comments: