Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Current game playing

I finally finished FarCry 2 on Sunday night, actually a disappointing ending, made more annoying by a couple of 'bugs'. First bug was progressing into the area of no return; hmm perhaps I should take the opportunity to switch out my weapons for new-non-jamming ones? So I head back out and find I can no longer leave the entrance, I can't get back out into the world - oh thanks.

The second 'bug' was not getting credited for a couple of achievements - Utility Man and a tied one that collects all the conflict diamonds. A quick online search reveals others with the same problem - turns out the Antenna/Mobile mast missions can be failed if the target runs away; however you're not told this you just get the standard Mission Completed box asking if you want to save the game. Of course you don't get the diamonds for completing the job, but as those tinkle in either just before or just after the Mission Completed dialogue it's easy to miss.

Damn annoying when I'd spent ages collected all the scattered diamonds from briefcases that there was no achievement for this directly but a blanket ALL diamonds; meaning you have to do absolutely everything.

Anyhow that finished I fired up Mercenaries 2, basically a third person version of FarCry2 with more blowy up things. Graphics are a little torn, and the character's witticisms got repetitive just during the tutorial stage, but nice big explosions so I'll stick with it.

Flicked over to Bioshock and ramped up the difficulty to Survivor mode in preparation for trying out the extra DLC rooms - bloody hell, hard? My first encounter with an enemy left me with a sliver of health. Things picked up once I got my first plasmid, but you only get a couple of shots before you need an injection of EVE to top it back up and this leads to the annoyance that you can't manually 'reload' your EVE supply. You might get one shot out of your remaining level, but it'll take two to disable the enemy so in the meantime you get to watch the injection animation.

The other annoyance is after getting so used to R1 to shoot having it hard-wired to switch weapons means me running up to an enemy to get the first blow in and instead acting like a weapons dealer showing off my wares; I'll acclimatise I hope.

Oh and not having a block move when using a wrench when the enemies you fight do; run away, run away.

Already noted a difference in the way I handle situations from the first playthrough. Having to deal with one wrench-wielding Splicer that when killed would draw out another pistol-wielding one I snuck down off a balcony into a pool of water headed up behind him until he noticed me, then scarpered back to the water and jumped up onto a plinth with a sculpture on it. Down he comes and zap I shock the water. I cower behind the sculpture until his wife appears and she finally heads into the water and takes two zaps. Thus I kept my health and my meagre pistol ammunition.

This should prove to be a challenging task, can't wait to tackle my first Big Daddy.

0 comments: