Thursday, August 07, 2008

The Toll House wall

A phone call from the planning department about the wall outside the Toll House that I was worried about. Highways have taken a look at it and said that the height's fine and was to provide better visibility.

Except that wasn't what I was concerned about in the slightest because I knew the height was fine. So I'm trying to explain once again the potential problem and once again explaining that no I'm not talking about walking along the left-hand side of the bridge (with your back to the town) on the highway I'm talking about walking up the side of the bridge from the riverside.

It gets better as the site has been sold and the planning permission that was granted isn't required and thus null and void, so the new owner is applying for retrospective planning permission to cover what's been built. So now I've got to keep an eye out for that to just in case the planning department don't pass on my concerns or get them jumbled once again.

The women at the planning department seemed a little put out by my "Oh goodie retrospective planning" and repeated various times that it's perfectly legal blah blah blah. Yeah the point of retrospective planning was to either a) provide people who hadn't realised they'd need planning to get it or b) to cope with those oddities that came up during the building process and weren't covered by the original permission. It's not for people to build walls when they don't have permission and then ask "Oo can we have permission please?"

0 comments: