Friday, August 29, 2008

My new car

I received a phone call yesterday afternoon from my dealer "Your car has arrived it'll be ready for pick-up from the 1st September" with a shiny new licence plate "When can you collect it? I can slot you in for 9am"

Um 9am on a Monday morning heading into Worcester just as the kids are coming back; I think not. I picked 10am instead.

"We need to tax it so we need the insurance documents"

Okay I'll contact my insurance company change the details and get them to fax/email a copy to you

"No we can't accept a copy. Oh and we'll need it by tomorrow afternoon"

WT... HT...

"We do have a deal with Norwich Union for a 7 day drive away period, we can accept their insurance over email"

Uh-huh. Anyway I give them a call

"For 7 day drive away or an annual policy press 1"
1
"To amend a policy press 2"
Uh
"For 7 day drive away or an annual policy press 1"
1
"To amend a policy press 2"
Ah...
"For 7 day drive away or an annual policy press 1. To amend a policy press 2"
1
"For 7 day drive away or an annual policy press 1. To amend a policy press 2"
1!
"Sorry for the delay..."
tum-te-tum
I get through to someone from Bangladesh and explain I need the 7 day policy
"Okay I'll quote you for an annual policy"
"No I don't want an annual policy I just need the 7 day one"
"Um I'll just put you on hold for 2 minutes"
Music for 2 minutes followed by a click as the phone is put down.

"For 7 day drive away or an annual policy press 1. To amend a policy press 2"
1
"Sorry for the delay..."
tum-te-tum
Through to someone else in Bangladesh who speaks better English; I explain the situation.
"Ah yes in order to give you the 7 day drive away I have to quote you for an annual policy"

Yep the 7 day drive away thing is FREE, they just get the opportunity to quote you for an annual policy and get your details. Anyway sorted I phone the dealer back, oh surprise, surprise he's not in his office; so I leave a message.

I'm just going to retry them now and make sure it's sorted.

2 comments:

Junior Perrera said...

It can be kind of a hassle when one is buying a car. There’s so much paperwork involved. But then, that’s why they have the test-drive period, I think. It’s there for you to make sure if you really want that car before signing anything or putting any money down. Hopefully you got everything sorted out, and you’re able to get your new car.

FlipC said...

Oh everything got sorted out in the end and I'm still driving, and happy with, the car 5 years later. Just wish I'd known about what was needed a little more than three days before I was going to pick it up.