Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Skate-park - always the way

So the weather being decent and me actually having some spare time I took a wander down to the skate-park to take some pictures; at least that was the plan. I picked up my camera, switched it on to check on storage etc. zoomed in zoomed out, got focus lock; an lo the low-battery indicator did appear and it switched off (that's the only hassle I have with this camera). Not to worry I popped the batteries, plugged them into the recharger and slotted in a new set. Repeated my test with no problems and headed out.

Reaching the bridge I looked out at a sharp transition between calm water and choppy water, hmm looks nice; raised the camera and 'bink' off it went - low battery. Much cursing, the newsagent was shut and I couldn't think where else I could pick up some more (somebody just said the petrol station in Vale Road, yeah didn't think of them). Sod it, I'll take a look anyway.

Fencing is still up; bowl plus spine ramp plus steps, London Gap, and quarter-pipe are all in place, but unfinished and bare. I'd heard that they'd had problems with the measurements, but Nathan over at the WFA says not and that it's all down to the weather.

Let's see now work started around the 16th April, the concrete bases were down by at least the 22nd and then apparently nothing up to the 3rd May. By the 12th we'd got an extra two concrete squares laid. On the 14th I spot the big crane and that seemed to stay until the 17th.

So working backwards and assuming a 14 day curing period. The pieces finish being placed on the 17th May (when the crane leaves), that means the last two concrete bases must have been laid on the 3rd May (I'll be nice and assume they got placed just I took the photos). If these squares weren't placed until the main slabs were cured then they'd have been finished on the 19th April. So the time-line does add up except why the need for the extra 14 days, why weren't the two extra squares a part of the original 19th April laying? I'd also like to note that at no time did I see these slabs being covered so I'm curious as to what curing technique they used.

0 comments: