Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Stourport Farmers and Community Market?

Being held every Tuesday from 9-4 means we've got one today. Lo Raven Street was closed off this morning and I saw one stall up and running as I drove past. According to my sources last week there was four, prior to that - one. Now I drove past again at 1pm and the road is no longer cordoned off and a large lorry had parked at one end with a couple of cars down the other. Oh dear what's going on?

Now I'd love to shop, or even look, at this market except well I'm at work when it's on; just like so many other people. Now of course if I worked in town I could pop over and pick some stuff up, except then I'd have to find somewhere to put it once I got back to work. I could go in on the way home...ah it closes at 4pm. Hands-up the number of people who normally work until after 4pm. Yeah thought I wouldn't be the only one with my hand in the air.

But that's us working-class stiffs, it's aimed at young mothers (okay fathers too) who stay at home and look after their young; yes those young people who can't cook and think vegetables grow shrink-wrapped... hmm perhaps not.

Thank gods for the elderly retired, they know how to cook and have time on their hands to potter about markets, of course they've been buying their greens from Grinnal's for donkey's years and we've three, four, five (?) small butchers in town to chose from. So I'm sure they'd welcome a market that sells the same things to um well okay maybe not.

Okay I'm being a little sarcastic and stereotyping (a little), I really think a market's a good idea provided a) it sells things that we can't pick up in the other small local stores that we've been patronising for years and b) it's held at a time to maximise pedestrian traffic; hell a Monday would have been better at least it would have coincided with the Bank Holidays.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, maybe it's fall-out from the Monday holiday and next week the street will be packed with all sorts of stalls; I hope so I really do.

0 comments: