Monday, May 21, 2007

The best laid plans

Well I had plenty of plans for the weekend, but the universe loves to toy with me. I'd fancied spending some time at Redstone Marsh, yet another wooded area of Stourport that people tend to forget exists. In the end I had just enough time to nip out and get some supplies in. I didn't even get chance to see the skate-park, I'll try to get down there tonight.


Applause and congratulations to the bridge crew for switching the lane closure around with minimal disruption. I did see a few cars heading out of town pulling over to overtake the lights then autopiloting back to the left-hand lane before realising it was now closed off. Good job they've got some high iron kerbstones up on the right-hand side. Just like the tank-busters on the little Stour bridge (which I was sure I had an uploaded photo of), just in metal rather then concrete. Now I know there was supposed to be an iron kerbing, but is this it? I can't wait for a wheelchair or double pushchair to start at either end and meet each other halfway. I'll also note that any cyclists on the path won't be able to get off onto the road; in some sense a good thing, in others not so good.


Odd documents tend to pass over my desk, and sometimes I even read them. An old one flitted past from late-2005 about parked cars on High Street and moves to decriminalise car-parking regulations and appoint 16 new traffic wardens. Uh-huh whatever happened to that? What triggered the memory - well our friends at the Black Star had a delivery this morning blocking off the left-hand side of the Vale Road/High Street/Lickhill Road junction. Double yellow lines and a loading restriction if I'm correct. To add insult to injury the first lane of Vale Road was also blocked, by a bus at the stop (fair enough) and a Shredded Paper pick-up van parked behind it. Ah well not as if it's the morning rush-hour; ah. Okay at least it's not the morning rush-hour with on-going roadworks causing traffic to build up; um?


I almost decapitated a pushchair in Bridge Street as a bloke pushed it out ahead of him behind a parked car. I'll assume there was a child in it. Just to point out the sheer inanity of this here's a description of the street layout - pedestrian crossing; shortened no parking zig-zags; gap of yellow lines to allow two cars to park, in which two cars were parked; idiot with pushchair.

Again it's like the people crossing opposite the Black Star. Hmm crossing point just to my left that allows me to cross both lanes one at a time with a full view of the oncoming traffic; crossing point just to my right that also allows me to cross both lanes one at a time again with a full view of oncoming traffic. Nah I'll try and cross both lanes at the same time right here where I can't see what's coming around the corner; that makes so much more sense.

Doing the same across the three lanes of Vale Road is vaguely understandable, it's quite long with crossing points at each end and a pedestrian point comes out halfway along it next to the only free car-park in town all of which is opposite the main town shopping area. Gee I wonder what people are going to do George.

0 comments: