Friday, February 09, 2007

Snow - take err three?

I'd have liked to take some more photos, luckily Suzie has taken a couple around the river. I was at work all morning, nipped home for some lunch and decided to park in front of the house instead of on the drive as the drive is sloped, actually the road is sloped too just not as much. My neighbour had left a large black hole in the snow a few feet in front of me where their 4x4 was parked.

I had some lunch, then decided it would be a good idea to at least give the drive a quick clear. I know there's a shovel, I've seen a shovel, can I find it? Yeah right of course not. I've got a spade; not the best, but a workable substitute for such a small area. My back still aches slightly.

While straining my back it started to rain/drizzle, at this temperature that's not good. I decided to head back into work, make sure everything's sorted out in case I can't make it in tomorrow and head back. With that in mind I got in my car and found myself stuck. I moved forward and slid sideways to the left. No more forward motion available. Pulled back slightly and tried again, slid sideways to the right. Oh dear.

If I could just make it to the bare patch I'd be fine. Went and got the spade, dug away some of the compacted snow. Put the spade back got in. My neighbour turns up and pulls into the bare patch; aargh! Even he has trouble and bounces off the kerb before finally coming to rest.

Still getting no purchase uphill. So I enlist my neighbour's help and reverse back onto the main road. Not something I could have done on my own due to the fact it's on a blind bend.

After that life was easy the main roads were still free of excess traffic, felt like a school holiday (which it sort of was). Still a touch of rain, not so much snow now though what was left had been compacted down.

Noted that yet again the drains couldn't cope with the excess water from the slush and some of the nominally clear roads had a sheen of surface water - let's watch that freeze.

Sorted out work and left, got back around half-three. Stopped on a flat area, walked up to the house, opened the garage door, went back and drove straight in without stopping.

Cleared more of the driveway and then decided to have a rest. So sadly no time for photos.

Today was fine, my drive was clear and ice-free. The main roads seemed fine; a couple of dodgy patches, but the drains had finally taken the surface water off so there were none of the ice sheets I'd been expecting. Traffic was still non-existent, I think I stopped only at the bridge lights.

The news was moaning about the schools this morning "The police, the health, the fire service all have to turn up, why can't the schools?" Damn right too, the only mitigating factor I can think of is a) We don't get much snow so let the kids have some fun and b) For most next week is half-term so where's the harm for two extra days. On the bad side working parents suddenly find themselves with the kids to look after.

Trains are back running on an amended timetable, airports should be back open. Again woah two to three inches of snow and we shut-down. Does this happen in Canada, Finland, Russia? Not as if it was an unexpected occurance, we just don't seem to cope with anything outside the 'normal' mediocre pattern of weather. Perhaps we could de-clog our drains on a regular basis, perhaps lay down heating wires in the road powered by a solar-powered central heating type system. All reports indicate this type of weather will become the norm, something needs to be done now.

Oo it's just started snowing again and I appear to be hearing thunder, might just be somebody moving things around in one of the factories though.

0 comments: