Thursday, February 08, 2007

Ha ha ha Boom Boom

Snow started to fall about 3am, by 7am we had about two inches. It was just gently floating down, that is until a gust of wind grabs it and throws it at your face. By 8am it was starting to fall more heavily. The roads were relatively well cleared, though I think mostly by the passing traffic rather then any purposeful gritting. Most drivers behaved eminently well; slow and keeping their distance. I emphasize the most as one bloody flat bad truck decided he wanted to sit on my boot for some distance. Yes this is a 30mph and yes I'm only doing 20mph, but 30mph is the maximum limit on a clear, dry, sunny day is it a clear, dry, sunny day? No thought not.

I had some fun last night a light sheen of frost on my windscreen, so I went to pick up my scraper only to find it wasn't in my glove compartment - arrgh I'd cleaned everything up a couple of weeks ago and must of forgotten to put it back in. Luckily I had my AA membership card; no I didn't call the AA for a frosty windscreen, I used the card to scrape the ice of, it wasn't that thick and the card was well suited to the task. Getting back I hunted high and low for the scraper, it's unmistakably large and bright yellow, found it in the end - in the boot of my car <sigh> thinking back it was slightly too large and rattley in the glove compartment so I'd moved it to the boot. I didn't think I was silly enough to go out without one.

9am and the snow is still falling, if it carries on at this rate, I might be leaving early. Heck I might be able to get out whilst it's still light and take some more pictures to go with the ones I took this morning.

Well at least some of my predictions yesterday are coming true

"Expect grid-lock on the roads, trains to be cancelled or delayed, and airports to restrict runways."
Check. Fiona on GMTV commented that problems at Stansted added to the total of Heathrow, Gatwick and Luton all cancelling flights, this is what prompted the Basil Brush impression.
Expect a lot of happy children who'll treat it all as a load of fun.
Yep schools in Birmingham and Dudley are closed, and the neighbours kids were having fun.

No wolves nor buggies yet though.

0 comments: