Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Mobile phones, drink driving, Shuttle comments

So from today the penalties for using a mobile phone will increase from a fixed £30 fine to £60 plus three points. Elsewhere I've pointed out the folly of introducing a SI to this effect simply for the fact that the main act already allowed for the provision of stopping someone on a mobile phone, even the DoT's own Mobile phone FAQ states:

Q5. Why are you not banning the use of hands-free mobile phones while driving?
Using any type of phone while driving is distracting.

Drivers should remember that the police can still use existing legislation (for failure to have proper control) if a driver is distracted by a call on a hands-free phone. If there is an incident and the driver is using any phone (hand-held or hands-free) or similar device, then there is a risk of prosecution for careless or dangerous driving.
So the police can still stop you for using a hands-free phone if they think you don't have proper control. Just as they could have stopped you previously for using a non-hands free phone for the same reason. Just as they could stop you for eating or drinking whilst driving; just as they could stop you for smoking or lighting a cigarette whilst driving. I didn't see any SI's and fixed fines for that appearing from Parliament.


It gets better, now it's rumoured they want to perform random breathalyser tests as apparently already carried out in the EU. What a good idea perhaps we can extend the scope...
Knock Knock
Who's there
The police
The police who
The police who want to perform a random search of your house for anything illegal.
I wake up expecting the door to be kicked in by Judge Dredd. Hey it's one small step.


Skate-park I know yawn it's still going on over at the Kidderminster Shuttle comments page keeping tongue firmly in check between teeth I added the following.
As perhaps one of the original participants in this little scuffle (flipc.blogspot.com - Nov 06) I thought it time I commented here.

For those who state that we should be thankful that Stourport is getting a skate-park I agree, though officially we're getting one on the basis we're the only one of the three major towns without such an area.

For those who wish that we'd stop talking about things we know nothing about, I expect you to use the same arguments when it comes to the proposed Tesco site.

So with that out of the way I'd like to reiterate Tavis's point - we want a skate-park. What we're looking at is where it's being placed, the decision making process that led to it being sited there, and the manner it which it is being planned.

Officially from the minutes only two sites were listed for consideration; next to the paddling pool and behind the Old Beams. The Old Beams site was rejected thus leaving only the paddling pool area. Sadly one of my many failings is that when presented with two choices I invariably look for a third.

Many people keep stating that the 'riverside' is the only viable site, I agree; just not the part of the riverside they're pointing at. My original thoughts were to keep it next to the river, yet place it on the other side of the putting green area. Tavis has since pointed out that moving it closer to the car-park would perhaps be better; a point I conceded.

Since proposing this site I expected the councillors to defend their choice, pointing out the reasons why this particular area is not suitable and why it was rejected. Instead all I hear is that the site they've chosen is the most viable, repeated ad nauseum.

Now we hear from Councillor Desmond that, due to the concerns of councillors as to its siting next to the paddling pool, it will have railings and be smaller then was originally proposed. So perhaps a different site might be the preferred option then?
I could have been much nastier in places; I chose not to be.

2 comments:

Tavis Pitt said...

On reflection I over-reacted a bit, and made a bad judgement call on how I approached the playground-metal-on-tarmac versus all-concrete skirmish. After my post on middle-aged-shred I received many comments strongly emphasising a need for an all-concrete park, 'all concrete or not at all', 'I cannot emphasise this enough', etc.. This coupled with the track record of this district on past skateparks, the 'playground' references, and lack of information from Cllr. Desmond et al it was looking like another Brinton Park style skate park. Alright its OK in Brinton Park tucked away around the corner by the tennis courts, but this was slam-bang in the middle of Stourport in view of visitors from outside the district. Stourport has a lot of visitors in summer, and so I would consider it the showroom of Wyre Forest Plc, and as such it should be showcasing the very best that this district can offer

FlipC said...

Perhaps, though if you did I'd need a phrase stronger then "over-react" to describe the response. I was originally going to start my comment with "Stepping carefully past the vitriol and dodging the blowpipe darts". Your comments on concrete needed to be made especially after the "playground" remark from Tom who also doesn't seem to realise that criticism can be a) both positive and negative, and b) a vital part of democracy.

As for "doing something productive" we are, we're pointing out a better site they could use.

"I attended one of the meetings that took place about the skatepark and it was due to Tom's insistance that the skatepark should only be made out of concrete that this will be carried out." great and this was officially recorded where exactly.

Oh I really had to bite my tongue