Wednesday, February 10, 2010

BioShock 2 Collectors Edition

My collectors edition arrived yesterday and I was eager to check its contents. Removing the thin layer of wrap allowed me to get to the actual box itself with the standard promotion/shelf information. Rather than a slip cover or box lid it's a flap box which I have to say I'm not as keen on. I find the point you open and close it tends to get creased, but this box is of a sturdy construction so that's not as much a worry as I'd normally have.

Opening the flap reveals a dark box which took some prodding to slip out, now this is nice. It's a box lid construction with a silver butterfly made up of handprints embossed on the lid; so it has texture rather than being a flat print.

Remove the lid and the first thing you see is the vinyl LP in its protective sleeve which contains the music from the first BioShock. Lift that out and you get a standard velvet-type moulded holder, on the left rolled-up posters in a plastic wrap and on the right the hardback Art Book.

That's what the weight is; it's big, solid, and contains full colour illustrations on nice shiny paper. Underneath that you get the game in a standard PS3 box so I can take it out and leave it by itself (again looking at you Batman: Arkham Asylum) and beneath that the CD of the music from BioShock 2.

Hmm so LP for the first game and CD for the second.... any reason not to have the music from the first on a second CD I mean an LP is a nice retro touch in keeping with the game, but how many people will still be able to play it?

Anyway all back in the box for the moment except the game. I fire up my PS3 and slip it in. The CD icon switches to a BioShock 2 Logo and my background wallpaper switches to a more appropriate image.

Okay as an aside I think this is something Sony and the developers have missed a trick here; sometimes I'd like that game wallpaper as my normal wallpaper but I can't get to it; it's not something that's on the disc in a form I can use.

Anyway my screen flicks as it sets resolution and I'm surprised by the number that appears - 1080p. So far if I've let a game choose it's own resolution it defaults to 720p this is the first game that is utilising the full potential of my television.

Tum-te-tum and it's "Please wait BioShock2 is installing" with the last two words in a scrolling fade. While this is happening we get some music and some changing slides set up on an easel. There's about 12 or 13 slides and as well as setting the tone there's some nods to the previous game. Once it's shown all the slides the music fades and then starts back up and we're back on another cycle. Each round takes about a minute and I counted about 6 and a half of such so yeah a 6 minute plus install listening to the same 1 minute loop of music. Seriously guys the throughput here is limited by the drive which is damn near identical in every PS3 model - you know how long this is going to take so why the looping?

Anyway into the start screen and oh yeah this is BioShock same tones same ambience; a non-interactive cut-scene which is rather good and then into the game proper however a couple of option tweaks first.

First to go is the helmet-cam, you're in a helmet and you see through that oval. It's not a fixed oval around the edge of the screen, I think I could cope with that, it shifts as you shift. So you look up and the top of the screen is slightly obscured until the helmet lifts. Okay it's atmospheric, but this parallax really induces motion-sickness in me.

And lastly is turning off the quest arrows. When you receive a 'quest' up pops an arrow at the top of the screen that always points in the right direction. The game's not exactly a maze and it bothered me when I was trying to explore having an arrow nagging at me.

So far it's as good as the previous one, a lot of the textures are crisper and the ability to use both plasmids and weapons without the clunky switch between is a delight. It's basically BioShock with the creaks oiled and a nice buff.

0 comments: