Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day

Not one we have ever really celebrated, along with many others we don't, but this year I picked up a 7" digital photo frame for him. Came on Saturday and I managed to open it and look at it Sunday morning. Came with a remote control and a standard mini-B USB cable... so where do I plug it in? Turns out they hadn't punched out the cover for the USB cover. Damn, do I send it back or try to punch it myself? A sharp knife later and some minor cosmetic damage and I had a USB connection. The computer just treats it as a storage device so you just shunt photos across as normal.

However the palaver in trying to find a digital photo frame with a built-in battery was incredible; he likes taking photos and likes showing them around so having a mains cable trailing around wasn't an option. With this he can pull the plug and show them around for a goodly time before it needs a charge.

So he was happy with it, apparently he plugged it in last night and then watched it go blank - he'd switched on the wrong socket so the battery had died; hah!

5 comments:

Orphi said...

Can somebody explain to me the purpose of a digital photo frame? As best I can tell, it's a low-quality, over-priced LCD with a USB flash storage device integrated. Um, why?

Also… they sold you a device with no freakin' socket?! That's advanced!

FlipC said...

What's the purpose of a normal photo frame - to display your photos. With film cameras this was fine, but with digital ones if you want to do the same you have to print them out, or congregate everyone around the computer, or fiddle with cables and settings on your television. Hence my requirement that it had its own internal power supply.

The USB port was there, they just hadn't punched out the cover.

Orphi said...

Well, each to their own. Personally, I prefer to just print things out. A printed page uses no electricity, has about 10x the spatial resolution of any screen technology currently known, and has 0% possibility of technical screwups.

(Obviously making the print is another matter. But once it's made, it consumes no resources.)

My bedroom is practically wallpapered in prints. ;-)

OTOH, you can only display a finite number of prints at a time I guess…

Ooo, I wonder if they'll ever make litle portable projectors?

FlipC said...

Longer-lasting, won't fade and, depending on the frame, will allow you to zoom and crop. Try doing that with a static printed bit o'paper :-)

Orphi said...

Long-lasting? It lasts, what, maybe a week before the battery runs flat? No thanks. :-P