Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Opera 9.5

A wonderful new upgrade to the Opera browser almost as wonderful as the 'upgrade' from XP to Vista. Let's see - they've changed the style of the interface (telling that the most popular downloadable skin is Original Opera 7/8/9) they've changed the mail storage format which means a full re-index of all your mail assuming that it finds it, it moved all my folders about, lost my dictionary and passwords and basically screwed everything up.

Tried to get things working by re-indexing my mail files manually, lost a ton of them then refused to store any new messages correctly. Oh and it couldn't keep track of replies to my messages

Being a smart-arse I kept a back-up of both my profile and mail folders, re-installed 9.27 pointed it to the right locations and hey presto everything back to normal - oh sure I've lost my copies and threading of anything I sent today (yet another reason not to use Opera as your email client), but that's a small price to pay to have both the tracking and spell-checking back.

Oh yes and it starts up quicker, finds mail instantly, and isn't locking up my computer unlike 9.5

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

…and to think I actually considered using Opera once upon a time! ;-)

Mind you, considering it's such a "jewl" of the OSS movement, Firefox isn't actually that fantastic. It eats RAM for breakfast, and it's really not very fast…

True irony:
"Dude, don't use Firefox, it sucks!"
"Well what else are you going to use? IE?"
"Don't be stupid. I use Avant. It's way better!"

FlipC said...

Ah IE so crap that 'simple' shells that sit atop its engine are better then it.

As for Opera at least you can still obtain the previous versions so as long as you may a back-up of your profile and mail it's cake to 'downgrade'. I know you've had fun with Thunderbird's threading system and Opera's is great, I like the fact that clicking on links in mail doesn't open up a whole new application (or engine) and I also enjoy the mouse gestures that are built in. Oh and the installer is just under 5Mb for that lot :-)

Anonymous said...

I just love it. I tell somebody "IE is really insecure", and they're all like "oh, I'm not worried about that, I just use Avant instead!"

[Insert suitably whitty comment here.]

PS. OMG! A "word verification" that's a pronouncible word! (megedoul)

PPS. One of these days, I'm going to type my password instead of my blog URL! :-/