Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Shock and horror

So I read that train fares are liable to go up after the government decision to slash subsidies. That's appalling news... the government still subsidises the train companies. The entire point of privatisation was to stop government funding; businesses could innovate, acquire funding, and compete; thus providing a better service for the public. Now where was I reading something about some company's profits equalling that of the subsidises received?

Due to a pension deficit Bank of England employees may only be able to retire at 65 and only receive a pension in relation to the average of their entire working wages. Poor souls of course they still don't have to contribute towards the pension fund itself and for those parachuted into the top spots that 'average wage' isn't going to be a big deal.

Apparently we have a bit of a housing crisis on our hands - no really? So more limits on buy-to-let as recommended in the NHPUA report nope the answer is to build new and cheaper houses. Um cheaper? So instead of 6x annual wage they'll be 5x instead? Hey that would be cheaper. Being debated today and the big question will be where they'll be built... I'm sure there are plenty of undeveloped flood plains left around the country.

A council has decided to reserve some spaces in a car-park for older people, that's exactly what it says on the sign shown on TV this morning. Older people? Well I'm older then my cousins so presumably I can park there. Or do they mean older then average? Well average age in the UK is just under 39; damn not quite there yet.


Amazingly I've got the photos of the completed(?) skate-park up on Flickr. I was also invited to post some pictures to the Making Cycling Dangerous pool. Not many pictures as yet but I think Dan H might be interested in taking a look.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have subscribed to the feed; thanks for the heads-up. But it'll have to go some way to replace the Warrington Cycle Campaign's "Cycle Facility of the Month" in my affection.

FlipC said...

I read that as fatality of the month, that would have been harsh.

The June entry looks familiar, councils do seem to love sticking posts in the middle of lanes.