Monday, July 16, 2007

Friday the thirteenth

I'm not superstitious, I don't throw salt, cross my fingers or care about black cats. I don't walk under ladders, but that's due to an aversion of having things dropped on my head. I also don't appeal to the nature spirits by 'touching wood'. So the events on Friday were a complete coincidence.

So there I am driving along quite happily on Friday afternoon, slightly bemused by the greater then average amount of traffic, when I go to change gear and hear what can only be described as "Twong". My clutch pedal now sits slackly on the floor. "Oh not again" I manage to pull in off the road and call the AA.

Turns out to be my trunnion, or cable fastener as I would think of it. The pin has snapped at the pedal end. After much taking out of engine parts the AA guy fixes a temporary one in place. Downside is that the gear disengage is now on the floor and the bite is about a millimetre above that, makes for a jumpy ride.

I'd called my garage and told them I'd bring it in, but they didn't have a part to hand and that combined with the great long queues forming suggested home again, home again jiggity jig.

So Friday evening got a little screwed up. Saturday morning bright and early I took it down, then walked back. I had thought about going to the Steam Rally, but knowing how the universe delights in screwing with me I'm sure I'd pay to enter then get a call telling me my car was ready.

In the end it wasn't until nearly close of play in the afternoon that they call. I walked down, got slightly waylayed in a quick conversation on the way, then finally picked it up. Now I returned home by car the same route I'd walked and it took just a couple of minutes less time; relief road why do we need one of those?


Late morning on Sunday which was annoying as my mother had mentioned that she might want a lift home from somewhere; she'd call in. I rushed out to sort out some bits and bobs I'd missed on Saturday, got back looked at the time and thought "Well if I start getting some food ready now I'll just get a call in the middle of it all". Now I know my mum I'll mention it'll be a little time in picking her up because I'm doing something and she'll wonder why I'd started something in the first place knowing that she'd call.

Time approached and no call, time hit and no call. Her mobile wasn't on "Overrun" I think. Time passes and "You called me?" "Yes do you want this lift?" "Oh no your father managed to pick me up" "Oh thanks I've been sitting here like a lemon waiting" "Oh well I only said I might need a lift" <groan>

0 comments: