Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Scratching my head

So we're often told that the UK holds the top spot in number of teenage pregnancies; so what's the question on GMTV this morning... Are morning-after pills too easy to get hold off?

See 11-year olds' are getting them without their parents knowledge and this is obviously bad...um. So now I address these parents - think back when you first had sex did you go to your parents and tell them? Would you wanted them to know? How do you think they would have reacted? Perhaps you're under the strange impression that if these pills weren't available you're daughter wouldn't be having sex... take a look at that first sentence again.

Here's the choice - prevent sex (good luck); maintain our uncoveted top spot in the pregnancy chart; or let whoever wants to get access to these pills.

It's not perfect; it may not be a long term solution, but it may just work at the moment.


One shiny new laptop (not mine) with Vista Ultimate and Windows Defender is blocking some start-up programs. They're fine to run so how do I stop this from constantly popping up on every boot - remove the offenders from the start-up menu. Um no I want them to start just without the warnings. Tough. Oh and 19 updates of which only 17 could get installed as it needed a reboot; then the last 2 could install.

Perhaps the latest version of Defender will help - update says nothing to update. I check the version, I check the version available online and they're not the same. So there's an update then? Nope. Er?

I take a look at the gadgets. Click here for feed update - okay.... Nothing. Oops silly me not on the internet and um not subscribed to any feeds either. So why did it ask to update? So one BBC news feed later and um the gadget is stuck. Options and cancel and it updates oookay.

Gee is Linux gaining market-share I can't think why.

As for the laptop itself it's from Rock, I've got the optional built-in web camera so I click on the icon marked WebCam nothing. Check the manual...ah I have to press Fn+F10 to power-up the camera, okay nice security feature but give it an icon on the keyboard? Same with Bluetooth Fn+F12

The sound's a bit tinny- manual... Ah I can change it using the driver control panel which hasn't been installed it's just the default Microsoft one. Installation was fine one reboot later and the CD-burning software now complains about a conflict <sigh> Vista recommends I visit a certain page which provides me with a patch (so well done Vista)

Oops installing a cable driver causes a blue screen, then Vista won't start. No problem I'll use a System Restore Point; there are none! Fortunately Vista coaxes back to life I check why no points have been created and find it set to recover a disk that's not installed - bravo Rock.

Outlook 2002 keeps asking for a password every time it starts apparently because it's using a feature that Microsoft no longer support; come on 2002 isn't that old a piece of software there are only two more later ones.

Well it's not mine and the basics work so that's it.

0 comments: