Wednesday, July 18, 2007

C is for Cold, Tenbury, single mums, and some other bits.

So now we get a paper saying Vitamin C has no effect on catching a cold; expect a rebuttal from another paper soon (one that is of course in no way connected to the large pharmaceutical companies that sell this stuff) Once that happens perhaps some of the companies could try suing the researchers for loss of earnings?


Poor old Tenbury Wells with yet another flash flood, this time taking a wall down. Although that may be considered a good thing. I've seen two shop owners both commenting on the fact that once the wall broke all the water disappeared into the brook. Okay so why wasn't the water doing that before; blame it on the drainage.


Thames Water want to build a desalination plant on the estuary in order to help alleviate the water shortages we've been having; here's a thought - directed drainage and more reservoirs.


Oh and a wonderful new initiative to get single mothers back to work once their kid(s) hit 12. Okay firstly they are working, and they're being paid by the government to do so (does that make them civil servants :-P). Secondly I can see this backfiring "Hmm my first child is 10, better start working on having another kid before they stop my benefits' Thirdly employers aren't exactly queuing up to take on staff that may ned to vanish at short notice because little Suzy's got a problem.

Is this some sort of back-handed attempt to reproduce the 'family' concept? Single mothers find yourself a bloke and he can go out to work? Interesting to note that only single mothers are mentioned, does this initiative not apply to single fathers?


According to my stats I've had zero visitors for some while - odd. All my fault. When I updated the template I forget to re-add in the tracking code, interesting that adding Google's own produced an XML fault. I think they need telling that you need HTML comments around bare code. Also goes to show how often I bother to check the referrals

Oh and I'm typing this is Notepad as the Compose in Firefox still runs like a tortoise due to the fantastic unturnoffable AutoSave function.


Idle thoughts - is the Werther's Original advert showing someone breaking the law? The one with the father and son in the car, they stop at a crossing and the son passes his father a sweet which he unwraps. Engine running, both hands off the wheel, and not concentrating - Driving without due care and attention?


Got to look at some of the old photos my dad had been sorting out, found one of my Nan where I didn't recognise her due to the fact she didn't look like she was sucking a lemon. Also a nice one of the two young reprobates (that's me and my cousin), which I'll see if I can borrow and scan.

0 comments: