Friday, April 25, 2008

Worcester

Test-drive tomorrow yay! Did my homework/research my Daewoo is fetching around ~£2k on sale and I can pick up an i10 Style (top-model) for £7k which is list for the next model down (Comfort) that I'm looking at.

Now sure on the test-drive, either they won't trust me (or want someone to prattle at me) so I'll have a passenger, or they'll just say 'here you go, bring it back in about an hour'. As such Google Earth has been helpful in plotting out some test-runs.

Now although I know this looking at everything from on high once again reminds me of Worcester's layout. Seeing as I'm there I thought I might as well stop and have a shop (depending on weather). So from my position at the garage (after a nice straight run for 12-odd miles) here's how it goes -

Approach the bridge and stay in the first of the two right-hand turn lanes. Follow the road to the right and stay in lane (now marked straight) ignore the two right-hand turn lanes. Over the lights into one lane, scope out the first car-park and turn left if empty, if not carry on and turn right at the non-indicated mini-island into the other car-park. Meh that was easy-ish.

Shop

Turn right or left depending on which car park I'm in, stay in the first lane (of two right-hand turn lanes). Over the lights and stay in the lane (third lane of four, second of three right-hand turn lanes). Over the lights and stay in right-hand turn lane (second lane of three, first of two right-hand turn lanes). Over the lights and stay in lane (straight, second lane of two) towards bridge. Stay in lane over bridge (now second of two lanes), change lanes to new third lane, continue right until bizarre island set-up and change lanes into new left-hand lane (first of two right-turn lanes). Turn right at island (note not turn right around the island) over the lights and change lanes into new left-hand lane (first of three). Continue until I follow the road to the left and get back onto Hylton Road which is a straight run home for 12 miles with two right-hand turns I need to make.

Now last time I did this run (though acting on auto-pilot) all the 'signs' were still either painted on the road or at the front of the queues next to the traffic lights. Given the levels of traffic this means that unless you already know where you're going you won't have a clue which lane you need to be in and will circle around the one-way system unless you get spat out the wrong side.

I mean seriously people three right-turn lanes which turn into a left, straight and right at another set of lights. Worse then the Crossley three lanes the middle of which is a straight until it changes its mind and becomes a straight/right.

0 comments: