Friday, June 15, 2007

Dark Skies

So I stepped out of work yesterday night to a dark sky, not actually raining just dark. I sauntered over to my car and stopped "I'll just check on a couple of things first" I thought. So one quick circuit later I headed back and the world turned white with a lightening flash. Then I heard it coming and started sprinting. Just made it to the car and was getting in as the rain came down.

Sounded like hail on the roof, lights on, wipers to full and visibility was still low. Avoided the normal puddle on Worcester Road and then got stopped in a queue outside the Old Rose and Crown. Watched as the oncoming traffic threw up a sheet of water over the length of the verge "That's unusual". Carried on and got stopped by the newly-formed pond at Minerva Point, no exaggeration cars driving through it sprayed a sheet as high as the van parked in the drive. Both sides at the bottom of the Stour bridge were filling in and passing the Rough I noted that the drain had turned into a three-plumed fountain.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - why isn't our road system designed to cope with this type of weather?

0 comments: