Thursday, June 04, 2009

Election day

Yes folks it's time to vote for people you don't know so they can pass laws you don't care about until they turn around and bite you in the arse.

Two votes on the green County election ballot paper and one on the yellow MEP ballot paper.

Headed in to my local polling station at 8:45 and fought my way through the thronging crowds to take my place in a queue so long it stretched out the station and down two streets... okay really, other than the officials, I was the only one there.

So perhaps it was a bit early, with some of the kids off school people can have a lie-in; I'll sure it'll pick up later. After all our ancestors fought and died to provide us with the opportunity to vote, for (nearly) universal suffrage it's not as if the people of this country are going to insult them by not voting are they?

2 comments:

Dan H said...

Shame about the crowds at your polling station. I had Thursday off work, so I did mine mid-morning instead of the usual 0845ish. They were hardly queueing out the door, but I reckon a good dozen people voted while I was there. That's why my region didn't elect any BNP people :-)

Unfortunately we didn't manage to displace any tories from the County Council; we just replaced the leader of the Labour group with a single Green councillor.

FlipC said...

As mentioned we have a Conservative majority in the County Council as well as the District one. Our town council has just switched to ICHC with the defection of a Conservative, so as the other two control the purse strings we can pretty much expect nowt for the town for the next four years.