Thursday, March 20, 2008

How the mind doth work

For lengthy reasons I won't go into I ended up trying to get to sleep last night with multiple songs playing through my mind. Songs skipping from one to another - Gloria gloria in excelsis deo; semper crescis, aut decresis, vita detestablis; all the lonely people where do they all come from?; I see a red door and I want to paint it black; losing my religion; I don't need no good advice; mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord; let it shine; quo plus habent, eo plus cupiunt; and the rain came down; I am the son and the heir.

Well you get the picture, anyway somehow I skipped to the Boogie Pimps, and stalled; I couldn't remember it. I tried to pull the video and match lyrics, but kept seguing into other songs. All I desire; can't stop the beat; I'm a different person yeah, turn my world around. Very frustrating and at some point my brain finally switched off and I got some sleep.

I woke up trying to snatch the contents of a dream - something about a guard/bounty hunter perusing a book about postal voting and both he and someone else ending up unconscious and lashed to a stricken plane by their prisoner and the rest of the group wondering how the hell that had happened in the short time they were away; at which point I started to sing Don't you want somebody to love, don't you need somebody to love.

What a piece of work is man :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is an episode of CAD that exactly captures my responce to this post:

CAD Episode 2007/09/17

FlipC said...

Oo a CAD reference, makes a difference from XKCD or bash ;-)

Just to fill in the details the book the guard was reading had a blue cover, I'm guessing it was about postal voting as I could just read
Post---
Voti---
A Gui--
because his hand covered the rest of the title up. Oh and it had the portcullis logo on the top right back page. It looked confusing as he was frowning and appeared to be concentrating hard... I think that's how the prisoner got the drop on him.

Anonymous said...

That's funny because yesterday I uncontrollably started to sing U2 Actung Baby in my mind with no apparent stimuli, then Vienna by Ultravox! Now today I have been singing the chorus to 'You give a little love and it all comes back to you' (Bugsy Malone)! So strong was the chorus that I had to find the exact lyrics:

You give a little love and it all comes back to you
Da da da da da da da
You know you're gonna' be remembered for the things that you say and do
Da da da da da da da
You give a little love and it all comes back to you
Da da da da da da da
You know you're gonna' be remembered for the things that you say and do
Da da da da da da da

Repeat and repeat, and repeat...

FlipC said...

A man will beg a man will crawl on the sheer face of love like a fly on the wall this means nothing to me oh Vienna :-)

After many repeated viewings I can sing (if that's the word to describe what I do) the majority of Bugsy Malone. That song does get stuck in my head too, though I prefer "So you want to be a boxer".

What did Richard Dawkins say about memes, amazing how some songs just stick and resurface at odd times.