Monday, November 26, 2007

Stourport Christmas Lights switch on.

As per usual with my impeccable timing I got to the bridge just as the Police stopped the traffic, thus the walkers had just started off by the time I reached the other end. Again as per usual there was one car at rest sitting on the bridge, the police still have to learn that when one end is reported as shut-off this is not the cue to start the procession as there are still some cars coming over.

Looks like we had the Monday Night Group out, a kids procession, the illuminated train and Santa, oh yeah and the dignitaries. Up Bridge Street, Up High Street turn into Lion Hill where they stopped and waited for the held-up traffic to go through. Again look you've got people blocking the entrance to Lion Hill and the Lichfield street exit, just stop the traffic there. Sure it'll build up, but does letting the traffic build up there and in York Street really ease anything; especially with crowded pavements? Just clear the entire route prior to the procession instead of this piecemeal rubbish.

Okay enough bad-mouthing; the lights looked the same as last year, but I don't know somehow seemed nicer, all the kiddies were wearing silver stars and looked adorable. The younger ones were on the train, which is nice until you realise that their parents were walking alongside in standard bodyguard manner meaning no-one could see the train (and presumably the kids couldn't see out); doubly -annoying when you realise the Queen etc. were at the front of said train obscured by the crowd. Saying that though the Princess spotted me (or at least my camera) said something to the Queen who turned and gave me a grin and a wave.

York Street, New Street onto the Civic Centre where everyone fussed about a bit as all the important people went inside to get warm. The fair on Raven Street car-park was the same as last year although I think the grill-walled trampoline was new.

Everyone was exhorted to gather in the car-park, which looked about the same numbers as last year so pretty good. I, knowing better, headed for higher ground at the back passing behind what appeared to be an OB unit who had stole the best position. I managed to get between a low stone wall and the metal fencing, which gave me steady perch for the camera.

See this is the problem, I can get nearer, but you're peering up at the balcony getting up-nose shots. Step back and most of the flash concentrates on all the people standing and walking in-front of you. Go back and the flash doesn't reach and you need a zoom and steady position. so the only real option is to go even further back and gain height as well as stability. The wall turned out to be no use showing up in the shot, but the metal posts were ideal despite the odd protracted thumping as someone got bored. Amazingly I got some good blur-free shots (uploading as per).

[Update - Photos on Flickr in the Three Kings Set starting with this one and videos should be up here]

Our celebrity host Mike George of, what I've been told, radio fame was good if not spectacular and at least this year when the lights went on you could actually tell.

A shout-out to Tony who, after the crowds starting to fade, I spotted packing a camera with a gigant of a lens so I strolled over as I slung mine and asked if he'd got any good shots. He found, as I had done, the lights levels didn't help and we got chatting about this that and the other. Hopefully he'll be looking up Flickr and may be posting some of his shots there and letting me know here oh and for him if he's reading Suzie's site with the mushrooms is here.

Fireworks at half-eight and to be blunt I couldn't be bothered, besides it was really damn cold, so I headed back.

2 comments:

Don B said...

You wrote:-
"the lights looked the same as last year, but I don't know somehow seemed nicer"

Was the "Welcome to Stourport" sign at the bottom of Bridge Street new this year?

FlipC said...

I meant to make that a little more explicit - yes the welcome sign is new.

Someone has also pointed out to me that the sponsor boards that normally hang beneath the lights have gone, that may be why I thought they looked nicer.