Friday, November 16, 2007

Hit me with a 419

Oh goodie a 419 by post how quaint, for those unaware of such fun please see here and here.

The envelope is addressed by name, but the letter itself is "Dear Managing Director" amusing as one of the pulls of the con is that I share a last name of the owner of the bank account. Oh and it's bare of any letterhead. Anyway enjoy:


Direct phone: 00-65-6248-6094
Direct fax: 00-65-6491-5566
Email: luibai_chang@yahooo.com.sg

Date: 11-11-2007

Dear Managing Director,

My name is Mr. Lui Bai Chang. I trained and work as an external auditor for the United Overseas Bank (UOB) of Singapore, working as part of a bigger team that covers the entire Asian region. I had taken pains to find your contact through personal endeavours. [Ed: covers the lack of a letterhead]

On routine audit check last month, I discovered some investment accounts that had been dormant for the least twelve years. All the accounts belong to a single holder with monies totalling a little above US$16,360,000.00 million United States Dollars plus interest [Ed: Wow 16 trillion dollars, oh wait]. Banking regulation/legislation in Singapore demand that I notify fiscal authorities after a statutory time period of twelve years when dormant accounts of this type are called in by the monetary regulatory bodies [Ed: so that's another 12 years?] . The above set of facts underscores my reason of writing and making the following proposing.

My investigation of the said account reveals that the investor died in 1995 - the exact time the account was last operated. I can confirm with certainty that the said investor died interstate [Ed: on a US road?] and no next-of-kin to his estate has been found or has come forward all these years. I am of the settled conviction that using my insider leverage, I, working with you can secure the funds in the account for us instead of allowing it to pass as unclaimed funds into the coffers of the Government of Singapore [Ed: so defraud the government - hey I'm in]. This is especially possible as you bear the same Last Name to the said investor [Ed: what Director?] who also leaved in United Kingdom [Ed: when did he leave?]. This exactly is why I crave your participation and co-operation. I have seized all relevant documents (legal and Banking) that will facilitate our putting you forward as the claiment/beneficiary of the funds and ultimately transfer the money to any account nominated by you. Of course you shall be handsomely rewarded for your part in this [Ed: fraud] transaction as the people I am working with are prepared to allocate a 30% slice of the total funds for your effort, less any expenses [Ed: hold on if I'm the claiment can't I just snaffle the lot?] . I shall however leave out the finer details of this [Ed: fraud] transaction till I receive an affirmation of your desire to participate.

Be assured that my colleasgues and I are on top of the situation all the time and there will be no risk whatsover if you agree to come on board [Ed: 'Fraud - hey it's a victimless crime']. Needless to say, UTMOST CONFIDENTIALITY is of vital importance if we are to successfully reap the immense benefits of this [Ed: fraud] transaction [Ed: dang and here I am blabbing it everywhere].

To maintain the level of security required to see this [Ed: fraud] transaction come to a successful conclusion, I have intentionally left out the finer details. To affirm your willingness and cooperation [Ed: hey the hyphen's gone] to my proposal please do so by email, telephone or fax, stating your full name, date of birth, telephone number, fax number and email address [Ed: we will then ask for some clearing costs and your bank acount details]. I do expect your prompt response. My colleague who is on business trip to the UK, will mail this letter [Ed: Ah hence the UK stamp].

Thank you,
Lui Bai Chang


Now normally I'd send something off to the UOB, via there Security section, except to do so requires me to fill out a form with my Passport info being mandatory information... um no don't think so.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I received an identical letter this morning, 21st December 2007, postmarked London.
So his friend must be on another business trip to the UK, and it's costing him a bomb in stamps, not to mention stationery.