Friday, July 16, 2010

Parking fines

DaBoss managed to get a fine for parking over his time limit in Dog Lane car-park in Bewdley his ticket expired at X:45 the notice was given at X:55. Really? 10 minutes. Now I understand why payment is necessary - the car-park needs maintaining; I also understand why enforcement is necessary if people take advantage and park for two hours instead of the one they've paid for - it prevents other people using the car-park and denies the council revenue.

However can someone justify serving a notice for a 10 minute infringement when the photo taken of the vehicle shows over half the spaces around it as empty?

I mean other than "It was 10 minutes over"

4 comments:

Don B said...

6 months ago I was at the Waitrose Car Park at Droitwich and I reached the checkout with 3 minutes to spare.
Not to worry as I was a self scan customer and all my shopping was already packed. However the randomised computer system selected me for a re-scan and that took me just over 5 minutes to get scanned and repacked. When I got back to the car the warden was writing out the ticket and she said there was nothing she could do about it as she had already started writing and it was my responsibility to get back in time.

FlipC said...

At least that was a private car park so they had no true legal recourse to make you pay.

You expect some wriggle room, not as if either car were parked their for an extra hour and, in DaBosses case at least, he wasn't taken up a space someone else wanted.

But nope apply the rule and not the reason the rule was created.

Don B said...

Apologies I didn't make it clear that the Car Park is run by Wychavon District Council as a local authority Pay-as-You-Go Car Park but Waitrose refund you the first hour if you spend more than £10

FlipC said...

Interesting how does that work? I mean the ticket needs to be kept with the car so you can't prove at the till that's how you've arrived.