Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Acer Aspire 5920 power fix

As mentioned in a comment on "Dead Computer - extra" DaBoss's son's Acer failed. He just brought it in and we tried two different transformers, no success - no blue light, no charging light. Unplugged the battery, left the power in - still no success.

He didn't want it to go back to Acer as last time it took 3 months to fix. Should I call up the local computer support or a friend of his who runs a computer IT company further away?

I wondered out-loud whether others had experienced the same problem and come up with a fix. This was pooh-poohed, but I checked anyway and found this little nugget of information.

Out came the battery and cable, on went my finger to the power button for 30 seconds, back in went the power cable and on came the computer. Powered it back down, popped the battery back in and both lights appeared.

Pathetic.

5 comments:

Orphi said...

Interestingly, I had an Acer the other day that suddenly didn't want to turn on any more.

I was using it, I put a CD in the drive and turned it off. I went to turn it back on again and… nothing. Won't turn on for anybody. I plugged and unplugged cables, tried removing the battery, even tried the pressing the power button for 30 seconds. Nothing.

Tried it again an hour later, and it worked perfectly. And it still works perfectly, even right now. WTF?

Still, the Acer laptop I gave me sister has a habit of randomly turning itself off when in use. And, worse, sometimes Windows will just lock up for five minutes, and then it wakes up and carries on as normal. Again, WTF?

In short, you get the impression that Acer laptops are just crap.

…and then there's my Acer laptop, which is very nice and seems to work perfectly. Never had so much as a glitch with it. Then again, it's an expensive one, so…

FlipC said...

I think no matter the manufacturer you can always end up with a lemon... it just seems some manufacturers are more lemon-prone than others :-)

Unknown said...

Nice post, Ring bells at toll free +44-800-098-8371 Acer customer care number UK and seek the expert’s advice to resolve the issue in just few minutes.

Anonymous said...

Superb post. Many thanks for discussing valuable content material. No doubt each one of these tips are extremely much ideal for bloggers. i think it’s very helpful for every parson. if you want to get all of them resolved call tech experts at Acer Computer Phone Number UK @0800-098-8354.

Anonymous said...

Tech experts were totally useless. Sounded like an overseas call centre, they didn't have a clue.
I was cut off as soon as I asked any technical questions.
Don't waste time.