Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Thermal picture of Worcestershire

Via the Shuttle I find that the heat-loss map of Worcestershire is up and running here.

First off applause for featuring a map that is navigable with a mouse drag. Yep unlike every other map that seems to get used by the either council instead of relentlessly having to click on arrows or pick a zoom tool you can drag the map around and scroll in and out. Huzzah now apply this to the roadworks and planning application pages and I'll shout your praises to the high heavens.

Likewise applause for doing it during the winter. Yeah it seems obvious, but I wouldn't have been overly surprised.

Okay it seems my house is "Average Good" err say what? The scale is as follows:

Good
Average Good
Average
Average Poor
Poor
Unclassified

Which reminds me of the alignments in most role-playing games. So if I live in an area with high heat loss and I'm slightly better would that put me in "Average Good" territory if I lived in an area with low heat loss would I be "Average Poor" for the same reading? Has this data been normalised taking the highest and lowest readings and quintiles created? Give us figures in degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit and we can judge it better.

Anyway interesting to play spot the hotspot in the town centres. I'll have to print it out and confirm their identities next time I'm in that area.

[Update - a link at the bottom of the page takes you to more information and I quote "relative to the rest of the area surveyed" yeah I bet that gets forgotten when the dictates arrive from Westminster about insulation.]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were looking at the map in the office today, when a colleague who had just had his house rated average after being fully insulated, pointed out a building near his house.

He bleated "What? A good rating; that's a detached garage!"

Not a lot of use really when an unheated building of course shows no heat loss through the roof.

Unless you know what the temperature the inside of the building is at the time, what is the point of a rating of the heat visible to an infra-red device above?

Andrew

FlipC said...

It is an indicator, but as I mentioned on the story's comment section viewers should look at the "More about Thermal data" link; it's not the absolute picture some might think it is.

In theory you should be able to remember roughly what temperatures you had your house at during that period and be able to judge it by that, except they don't give you a temperature reading just your 'alignment'.

As I said though you do get some sort of indication as to heat loss; I just hope that the council doesn't decide to use it to start imposing fines on those 'wasting' energy.

Philip Lench said...

My house is fully insulated with double glazing, cavity wall and loft insulation and I get an average poor rating.

My mother in law has a derelict (no roof) brick built outhouse in her garden and that gets an average good rating.

So far I'm impressed. Then again I'm easily impressed.

Philip Lench said...

Haha. Just looked at Aggborough Stadium and I see that the South Stand is green but the identical North Stand is yellow.

It must be all that double glazing and loft insulation in the South Stand that does it.