Monday, May 18, 2009

Yay I'm back

Everything tickety-boo; sticking to a diet of toast and the King of Soups - Cream of Tomato. Does anyone not like tomato soup? Avoiding tea and coffee for a bit just having water, water with cordial, and maybe some fruit juice. Stay with that for a week and let everything settle.

In an attempt to maintain some exercise over the wet weekend I had a root through some old boxes (moving them about and going up and down knackered me) and found my old Warhammer 40k 1st edition rulebook re-reading it for the first time in ages was quite revealing in comparison to the modern fluff.

No Chaos gods, no enforced Emperor-worship; it's all pretty much pre-Horus Heresy information. Also interesting to see the first mention of some major items despite the alterations they've gone through. Leman Russ gets two quotes (and in later versions becomes a Primarch); the Eye of Terror is a region banded by warp storms that opens every few decades (now the birth point of Slaneesh and a permanent tear in real space); Adeptus Mechanicum gets only a minor side panel and have their main bases on Earth (now their own cult and based on Mars), Standard Template Constructs appear and are just as important.

Okay if you're not into it it's of no interest, but to see the foundations of what the game has become just sparks the geek historian in me.

4 comments:

Dan H said...

I don't like tomato soup. And my doctor once told me that if you're rehydrating after an illness, lemon barley water is much better than cordial. I guess it has more electrolytes and less sugar.

FlipC said...

You wierdo ;-)

Interesting point about the cordial I'll keep that in mind.

Anonymous said...

You could always look up the WHO oral rehydration formula…

FlipC said...

Seems pretty much the same as what I bought - salted rice water.

Interesting that someone mentioned salt to me the other day what with the tomato soup plus toast diet so I looked it up.

Tomato Soup - 2.8g salt
Slice of bread - 0.48g salt

So Soup + six slices of bread a day equals 5.68g. RDA is 6g so not far off I've added in a few Pringles (0.48g per 25g).

Hopefully over the long weekend I'll be back to normal eating habits... kind of missing coffee in the morning :-)