Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Vista's file associations

In yet another feat of stupidity from Microsoft I've just found there's no way of altering the secondary commands associated with files. Oh sure I can change the programme that the file opens with, but if I want to use a different programme to Edit or Print it I'm stuffed. This was a feature that dates back to at least Windows 3.1 and now it's gone.

Totally serious except for registry hacking there is no way to see or edit anything except Open.
Okay technically you should be changing these commands from the programme you want to use, except said programmes tend to be an all or nothing - "Hey yeah I'll open these files, and I'll edit them too, oo and print them" Amazingly enough you might want a file to open in a programme that doesn't allow editing, just viewing, but nope you can't set that yourself.

Well a quick Google produced a programme called Types just unzip and shove it in its own folder then run it. It's pretty darn basic and if you do want to change commands it's best to make a note of what's already there or to copy the command from some other file extension, but at least it works.

2 comments:

Orphi said...

That can't be right. That's completely retarded! I'll have to go check it myself…

FlipC said...

Well if you do find a way I and a gazillion others would like to know.