Monday, April 06, 2009

My own Mystery Science Theatre

Four hours at Merry Hell and not much to show for it, did pick up the Easter Eggs though.

Bratii turned up and I started them off on Little Big Planet, purely by accident we went through the Chupa-whatever levels which are by far the most annoying even if they do have the best music. This prompted much whining from Bratus Major of "I can't do this" Minor was quite stoic about it. Much perseverance and we got through most of them until the springy platforms over spiked death pit, which after several attempts even I was getting tired of; so we stopped there.

Next up I was going to introduce them to Monkey Magic which I'd bought just that morning, popped in the disc and Minor got excited about the menu graphics featuring the actors whizzing around on clouds. Started the feature then turned it off and ejected the disc - no English Dub, fine for me and Major not so good for Minor.

Trying to think of something else to watch and having monkey's on the mind I turned to Iron Monkey. We all enjoyed that, even more so when we started to add in our own commentary Mystery Science Theatre wise.

"You're attempting to bribe me, and in public too. Arrest him"
... "While I keep the 'evidence' safely in my pocket"

"Ah sometimes I think Iron Monkey could be right under my nose"
... "He'd have to be really short"

Iron Monkey jumps through the roof
... "Why use a door when the roof is so much easier"
later evil representative crashes through a wall
... "The Iron Monkey method of leaving a room"

Head of security and father of boy share a meal on a rooftop waiting for Iron Monkey
... "Yeah cos he's never going to spot you having a barbecue up here"
... "Maybe he'll smell it and come over for some?"

"You're not joining us?"
... "No we've poisoned the food"

Father of Boy to Boy "A cure! Quick write this down"
cuts to unknown hand sketching out a face
... "Squiggly line, eye; are you getting this down accurately?"

"How shall we revive her?"
... "Dump her in the river"
cut to scene of someone strung up and being flogged
... "Well that's not going to work"
Evil representative throws a chicken bone at the flogged boy and his head snaps up
... "The miracle chicken bone cure, quick write that down"
"I'm going to teach you a lesson"
... "In how to stroke a beard evilly"
Major instantly name him Darth Beard Stroker.

Boy with stick takes on three men armed with swords
... "Who's going to win stick or swords?"... "Stick" we all shout"

"Father I been careful not to embarrass you"
... "I've just been begging for money in the street, then had a fight in a bar."

At the end Major harassed Minor into reading the end credits "Blah blah blah".
"No see... House, Man,"
At which point we ended up pausing them and making up shapes from the characters.

Man with Missile Launcher, Jelly fish, Angel, Door with window, Man with four arms etc.

We couldn't stop laughing, so much fun. Anyway next time it'll be Shaolin Soccer.
"What's that about Ninjas playing football?"
"Yup, pretty much"
"Oo"

2 comments:

Dan H said...

I have a friend I like to do this with. We even watch MST3k and then MST3k over that too, for extra hilarity. We have quite different taste in films and TV, but we enjoy watching bad films and TV together because talking over it is more fun.

We've been watching the series of Tekwar lately. It's not very good, and it's very MST3k'able.

FlipC said...

Well one to add to the list thanks. Trouble is getting something both Minor and Major can relate to; 6 years is a huge gap at that age.

Anyhoo that's why I went for the wire-fu, MST3k styling was just an added bonus. Never done that with them before, but I think it'll be a welcome feature :-)