Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Exhaustive sorting for Kidderminster report, and more work in town perhaps?

Just uploaded the Kidderminster pictures from last Saturday, comments, cross-linking and even a tiny and completely unexciting pop quiz.

I knew that the fancy dress and all that was starting around the 2:30 mark, but fun and frolics were supposed to be present from noon. As I was passing back through town at roughly that time I thought I'd see if I could park and poke my head in. Parking was not a problem, something that should have given me fair warning, the town was way too quiet.

Frolics were the normal weekend stalls with the addition of a merry-go-round The Wyre 107.2FM were the only ones who really put on a show with not one, but two lots of singers; both of whom were pretty good.

Both the town hall and new meeting hall had bazaars on. I always have a poke through for any out-of-print books, but sadly nothing of interest in that area. Getting bored now, but things were enlivened by a police helicopter hovering around overhead; according to one of the shop staff who came out clutching a walkie-talkie they'd been a robbery on a building site. Now either someone had stolen something and tried to make a getaway in an excavator, or someone had stolen an excavator, either way not the sort of thing to speed away from the cops in. In any case the helicopter hovered around and moved from point to point, that is until I started taking a movie of it at which point it turned its back on me and steadfastly refused to move. After a while seeing as it wasn't going to rain missiles down on the town or have a squad of marines rappelling from it I got bored and carried on shopping.

Well not exactly exciting, I thought they'd be either more people or more entertainment around. Obviously things might have livened up later, but I couldn't envision anyone setting up any more stalls; the shops staying open; or, to put it bluntly, more people showing up. No signs around detailing events or timings thereof, and those people I spoke to seemed completely in the dark about the day's events. I might be completely wrong and the local newspaper will be dedicating four pages to the exciting events and throngs of people who turned up. I'll find out on Thursday.

Sheesh almost forgot- a few weeks ago I had in a word in someone's shell-like about the fact that Balfour Beatty, on behalf of Severn Trent Water, had yet to replace the decorative paving bricks they'd dug up in the course of repairwork this September. This afternoon I spied a workcrew next to one of these very areas with a neat stack of bricks to their side. Now let's see if they've actually matched them up with the existing ones, or will do as someone's done in Kidderminster and plonked down a set of bricks of almost the same colour, and with a completely different texture.

4 comments:

Tavis Pitt said...

I was at the Town Hall on Saturday, and have been looking through your Vicar Street photographs to see if you had shot me.

The helicopter was flying around because the police were putting on a ‘See the Police’ show at the New Magistrates Courthouse on Comberton Hill. The Police Helicopter was making a flying visit.

FlipC said...

I'll take it I missed you then. I have a great knack for that

Must of been a coincidence with the helicopter and theft then, how typical though to hold a show all the way over at Comberton Hill at the same time as they want people in the town. I wonder how it didn't show up on the What's on list though?

Tavis Pitt said...

Yes you missed me. I was standing at the entrance of the town hall when the Blues Brother tribute duo were singing.

I don’t think the police would waste resources and money using a helicopter to find brick thieves, would they? The police event was on the front page of last week’s Kidderminster Chronicle. I know the paper going downhill with regards to its website, but obviously there readership is falling.

FlipC said...

Ha you were taking some pictures weren't you? When you stepped down I took your place to snap some of my own. As to the police event reporting, I've devoted a section in today's entry towards it (need to check a fact before I post it). Oddly from my approach it seemed that the helicopter was hovering more over the St Mary area. Walking up Lower Mill Street it was in front and to my right, outside Staples it was just to my right again.