Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Treacherously stubborn

With the snow and ice that favourite word of the media comes into play apparently roads and pavements are treacherous -

"O faithful pavement, in thee I place my trust"
"'Tis true thy faithful servant I will ever be"
[slips and falls]
"Gadzooks what's this, mine feet doth move, mine head doth fall"
"Ah-hah 'tis I thy servant no more; my loyalty as fickle as the snow to whom my lot hath fallen"
"Treacherous cur that doth deceive me so"

This morning I discovered that numbers were "stubborn to fall" I can imagine them standing there with placards "Hell no we won't go".

Why these need to anthropomorphise things? None of us are immune - computers 'play up' or 'refuse' to work. Is it an inherent characteristic, or that our language structure is arranged such that these descriptors came into existence due to social interaction and we lack any other kind?

0 comments: