Thursday, May 15, 2008

I love our bank

Just logged on to our bank's website to sort some money matters out and a notice tells me they're introducing a faster transfer system as of the 27th.

The new service will be integrated into the existing Bill payment function. In preparation for the launch, from 12 May 2008, messages will be displayed advising the route the payment will take.

All of these messages should be ignored until Faster Payments goes live on 27 May as all payments will be sent the existing 3 day route
Wow there really are times I wonder if I'm really dealing with one of the largest international banks in the world or a Mom & Pops Savings & Loan. Hmm I wonder what Gail's take on this would be?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which bank, if I may ask?

It may interest you to know that in the back office (at least where I work), the max time allowed between receiving a payment request and processing it, is 15 minutes.

FlipC said...

HSBC oh and those three days are of course working days so a request on Thursday does nothing until Monday. That is unless you have an account set up to do telegraphic transfers, but you pay extra for that privilege, £20 per transaction IIRC.

GilaMonster said...

I was almost expecting it was another of your banks. One whose name starts with B. I'm all too familiar with them.

The working days I expected. Banks do nothing over the weekends, which is nice for their IT admins. It means we get to spend out weekends at the office doing routine maintenance that can't be done during the week.

£20 per transaction is absolutely insane. Callphone banking is popular down here, and it's no where near that.

FlipC said...

Well at least the admins can be happy, it's only recently that some of our High Street banks open on a Saturday.

Checking it over the charge has dropped now they've gone webby, but it's tied in with other charges so it's difficult to measure; I'll have to check the T&Cs.

Amusingly neither that nor the length of time was why I originally thought of you, it was the 'You might get some messages, please ignore them until the 27th'.

GilaMonster said...

That part struck me as so stupid I was unable to formulate a sensible reply.