Thursday, August 19, 2010

iPhone 4, slow wi-fi and MobileMe

Yes DaBoss has the iPhone 4 after breaking the screen of his 3. We'd been using Windows Live to sync between computers and his Nokia via wire, but of course that doesn't work with the iPhone because it'll only work with the default message store in Outlook (bravo).

So I turned to MobileMe. Easy to create an identity, easy to set-up. The laptop information still only uses the default message store though - seriously Apple what gives. Anyway the 'cloud' updates nicely and I set up the same things on his new iPhone and wait.... and wait.

After an interminable amount of time it finally gets its one welcome email, but it's soooo slow. Is it a problem with our wireless router. I try the iPod I also have to configure, fire up the App store and there I am. Do the same on the iPhone and nothing. So exactly the same network different results.

I go online and find the fantastic information that the new iPhone doesn't behave well with some 802.11n networks. I drop the speed of the router - no change, I fiddle with more settings - no change. In the end I check the firmware and note an upgrade available.

I install that, watch the router lock up, unplug it, wait, replug it and find that they've changed the security screen tags so I figure out which was the setting we had before and would you look at that the iPhone connects at speed using the old settings.

So I can now read the mail, and the calendar downloaded, but not the contacts. I'll try a power on and off to see if it'll force it to read them.... yep little swirly circle has appeared - supposedly it's push technology so a change at one end pushes it through to all the other devices - hmmm yeah right we'll see about that.

0 comments: