Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Adobe PDF choking on creating complex file

Needed to create some art work for a business. Mix of text, art and some OLE embedding from other programmes. For vector work of this type I tend to work best with CorelDraw; it has its flaws, but for the simple things it works well. All is well until I come to pass it along via email and chose to use the copy of Adobe Acrobat that came with the computer to turn into a PDF file via "print to PDF"

Now there's a lot of grouped vectors, so there's around 10,000 objects in total nothing really major the file's around 3.5Mb and takes Corel about 4 seconds to open. Adobe can't handle it, or at least can't seem to handle that many vector objects that quickly. Half an hour and it only got around half-way through. Imagine having the client want to alter something and having to re-send it.

I bumped it over to another computer and used PrimoPDF. It took less than a minute and this was a much slower computer than mine. Something wrong here.

So I pulled up Adobe Distiller direct and took a look at what it wanted to import - PostScript and Encapsulated PostScript. Hey CorelDraw will export to that. So I end up with .eps files and plug them into Distiller. About a minute later out pops the file and it is slightly different to that produced by PrimoPDF in that it's slightly better.

So to anyone having trouble see if you can export to a .ps or .eps and run it directly; might save an awful lot of time.

2 comments:

Orphi said...

If you “print to PDF”, then it has to interpret Windows GDI calls to construct a vector or bitmap description of the page(s). If you export to PS or EPS, it has to interpret PostScript instead.

Not knowing anything at all about GDI, I couldn't say whether the task is actually harder, or whether Distiller is just being inefficient…

PS. Did you know you can write PDF using Notepad? I mean, if you're clinically insane, anyway.

FlipC said...

Yeah I guessed it would be how it was trying to interpret the raw CorelDraw file into 'description'. When I interrupted it I could see where it was choking and ended up simplifying some of the vector groups; still took forever. Amusingly the print company asked for them in .eps format "That's handy" I replied.

Yes but then again I'm not clinically insane ;-)