Monday, March 12, 2007

Fun-packed weekend

A crick in my neck running down to my shoulders, aching jaw, and the knowledge of blood running through my head - it was major change in air-pressure time. It also makes me, well, like a bear with a sore head; so I tend to remove myself from civilised company as much as possible. Of course the universe delights in making a mess of all our plans.

My parents wanted a lift to Bewdley, they'd asked last week and I'd said yes. There was a show on at the Severn Valley Railway, parking's a pain so I always try to give them a lift. I thrust my camera at them with the admonition "Lots of photos" They'd borrowed it last week when they popped over to Clee Hill, I'd said the same thing then. "We took about twenty" they'd said on their return, I checked the camera "You've taken about 40". "We haven't have we!". This time they managed around 60 with some good shots of the trains; I'll upload them at some point. Before anyone says I know 1 good photo is better then 100 rubbish ones, but with 100 photos you've got a better chance of finding one good one. Without the limitations of film you can afford to take rubbish shots at zero cost.

While concious I did some quick shopping and succumbed to the temptation that is Okami. I've been very good and waiting for things to drop in price, but when I heard that as a reward for producing such a fantastic game Capcom had folded the team back into the main company, I decided to buy it at full price - I always try to reward greatness.

I then slumped back at home, not in the mood for reading and finding myself with time on my hands I decided to treat myself to Sapphire and Steel. Damn that show is good. Oh sure the special effects aren't up to today's standards, but a small amount of tweaking and you could re-air it today no problem. It's amazing what you notice, lack of music for starters; you get the odd piece, but mostly when people aren't talking it's just silence. Oh and it's still scary in places.

Sunday the aches had started to fade, which was good as it was my aunt's birthday party (or specifically my aunt-in-law, is there such a term?) held at the Rose and Crown at Burford, very nice. Bratus Minor(4) and Bratus Major(9) behaved themselves despite the fact they were given something of the adult's menu, just smaller portions, as opposed to chicken-parts nuggets of the kid's menu. We then went back to their place.

Playing hide-and-seek with the kids, they raced outside to hide while I stayed in the warm and counted. Reaching the limit I immediately didn't sprang up and instead reached for the newspaper. After a short time had passed I got up looked at the window and waved to Bratus Major who was standing in a tree wearing his bright red coat. Entering the garden I waved to Bratus Minor who had come out of hiding wondering where everyone was. Hey it saves me time. ;-)

Bratus Major insisted he had a super-duper hiding place and I was duly dispatched to count again. This time I came out on 100 and it did take a lot to find him. It was a very good hiding place, though it did cost him some gashes from the holly.

My turn to hide. I insisted they wait in the house while I hid. I walked to the back door, opened and closed it noisily, and then side-stepped into the bathroom (Hey nobody had specified where you could hide) the pair rushed past me outside, I counted to ten, peeked out and returned to the living room; at which point all the occupants burst out laughing. I sat down and continued my read of the paper. Their father (my uncle) watched and reported their progression out of the window. Bratus Major was getting sulky and looking at places I couldn't even fit into. He stomped back down the garden towards his father at the window "He's inside" I heard, I looked up and waved to him.

There then followed stampings on the stairs, a slammed door, and music being turned on at high volume. Bratus Minor appeared "There you are!" he said. "Where you looking for someone?"I asked. "Yes you". "Oh" I replied "I've been at here all the time".

Okay some might say cruel, but hey the universe can be like that. I hadn't broken any rules and next time they'll specify to hide in the garden or check the house too. I look upon it as providing them with vital life experiences.

Bratus Major cooled off eventually and came downstairs and favoured me with a big grin. I knew he'd see the funny side after the initial sulking had worn off and we ended up playing a three-person game of Top Trumps, which I resoundingly lost.


Suzie's pointed out the lane closure in Lion Hill while they re-do the pavements, it appears to be a weekday daytime thing only. The better news is that looking at all the markings they'll be doing the other side too at some point, now that will be fun.

Saw a few yellow-jackets on Bridge Street milling around the boarded-up old market last week; not sure what they're up to. I've put out some feelers amongst some people I'll see if anything comes back.

Oh and I keep meaning to visit the new sweet shop in Bridge Street. Just haven't found the time.


On a boring note I spotted a design I hadn't seen before on a pound coin, appears to be a triumphal arch, coin's dated 2006. Looking through my change I found nine designs, my uncle had another two bringing the total to eleven. As a totally geeky thing it has, of course, already been noted on Wikipedia. Ah it was an Egyptian Arch. Hmm fourteen in total, I haven't seen a 2007 bridge, I don't have a 1988 crown over shield and I've got either the 2004 or 2005 bridge. I hadn't realised there were also so many Two pound coin designs either. Rugby, radio, DNA, and the 60th anniversary of WW2 I've held, but I haven't seen any of the others. The same goes for 50p designs too. I'm always surprised that so many people just don't notice these designs.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You won't have a 2007 bridge as, unless the Royal Mint has changed its policies recently, each year's coins are only released in December of that year.

Good on you for teaching the brati the value of precise specifications. That was a lesson I knew innately, but I still remember one Mersey ferry crossing in full sunlight where my uncle taught me the hard way that you can't sneak up on someone from the direction of the Sun, even if their back is turned. I'm ashamed to say my powers of deduction weren't up to working out how he kept managing to spot me; after four or five failures he stopped to explain to me that he could see my shadow.

FlipC said...

Ah so the Royal Mint publish the design before minting the coin, barely a 2007 coin then :-)

I've found Hide and Seek to be an excellent game for not only teaching the need for specifics, but also for implied rule-breaking and lateral thinking.

One time I hid in a spot the Brati searched around me, then moved past my point. I waited then altered my position to a spot they'd already searched. Eventually they found me, but were befuddled as to why they hadn't found me the first time. After I'd done this a few times I relented (in the same manner as your uncle) and explained how I'd moved. The implication was that hiding is a static event, I explained that it needn't be and how by moving before being caught I'd still retained my excellent hiding place over multiple games.

Likewise I've hidden very close to them, they turn around and instantly rush off often passing me in their hurry. They learnt that lesson very quickly (outdoors) and aren't in quite such a hurry to leave their spot without checking around first. My hiding inside was the next step of this program.

Oh and yes I've caught them a few times by their shadows, again a lesson they caught on to so quickly that Bratus Major once hung his coat on a nail so that it would cast a shadow out onto the path; that was a pleasant surprise when I found it. He's cottoned onto decoys very quickly.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the joy that will be when they close the other lane of Lion Hill, then! ;) Marvellous!

I think you're very cruel with your outwitting of those poor young children, but I dare say they'll need their wits about 'em as they get older, so you could be seen to be doing them a favour, I s'pose! ;)

Still haven't got to that sweet shop myself, either. Many years ago I would have been first in the queue! :)

Anonymous said...

Woops. Forgot to say that I've been collecting different versions of £1, £2 & 50p coins since my son was born.
I haven't noticed any new ones, but then I haven't had much money lately! ;) I'll keep an eye out for them now..

FlipC said...

It was with some irony that I noticed they'd started on the other side of Lion Hill the afternoon I posted. Hats off to them they doing a quick and relatively painless job, I'm still curious as to why they were allowed to do this at the same time as the bridge-work. Silly me that should have been almost finished by now ;-).

Yes I'm very cruel to these kids, I feel wits and discipline are important lessons to give. As my mother commented "They obey you more then they do their parents because they know their parents wouldn't really hang them upside-down by their ankles over the fence." I would. ;-)

I'm planning on popping in to the sweet shop on Saturday, weather and circumstances permitting, I might take some photos with permission.

My grandfather tried to push me a little towards numismatology; it never really took, but I do still notice things.