Thursday, June 26, 2008

Kidderminster Shuttle

So I mentioned that I was having fun with the Kidderminster Shuttle site when Tav pointed out they were having a revamp. I used to use the thisiskidderminster domain to get there, but that was screwy so I've had to switch to kidderminstershuttle. They've now rescinded the previous index page and it redirects to the main NewsQuest page, but fortunately all my old links still work.

As has been mentioned the site is much cleaner and fresher, but it still has problems.

First off my old registration didn't work, meaning I had to re-register not really a hardship because it never kept track of my posts anyway. [sigh] and it still doesn't and this leads to problem number 2.

Comments on the blogs don't appear with the default templates used by the blogs, but they do if you use a different wrapper accomplished by changing the folder name IOW blogs/story shows only the blog entry but news/story, sport/story, leisure/story and shuttlextra/story show the same story but with comments and of course a different menu structure. Removing the folder name or using li/story (Local Info) yourstory/story or harriers/story gets an Oops page, which is interesting (nor anything in the orange menu).

Problem 3 is with the news stories the default home being /news/ check the older ones for replies to comments and you head for /news/1/ then /news/2/ and then you're stuck with the link referring you back to /news/2/.

Advance the number manually and it only adds one extra story to the bottom and keep the link at /news/2/ however fill-up the news stories at say /news/10/ and the link changes to /news/3/ at 20 it goes to 4 and yes 30 goes to 5.

So we have a mismatch between the two numbering systems. Once you go beyond 2 it appears to refer to the story at the top of the page whereas the links refer to the page itself.

As a test I tried blogs/30/ and hey lookie it took me to page 31 so it's a screw up in the news template.

Oh and wonderfully on the main blog home page we've lost the credits to the writers and I couldn't help noticing that the preface to Lord Baldy's entry on the Kidderminster Carnival didn't carry through to the entry itself, but only for this one entry.

As I commented on the WFA "did anyone actually test this before making it live?" These aren't petty little things.

0 comments: